Chapala.com Webboard

Parking a shipping container

Pax_Orbis

There are any number of options. One is near the local Walmart, behind Domino's Pizza. Another might be S&S Autos

You will not have a problem finding a place, it's just that some locations are more expensive than others. 

Strom-White surely knows where the streets/corners/trees are where it won't be able to be hauled/make the turns/make it under the trees.  When I moved to Ajijic, umpteen gazillion years ago, I used the services of a freight forwarder--a big truck.  They had to park on the highway and bring all my stuff down to Miguel Blanco in smaller trucks.  I had to find those pickup trucks for them, a couple of new friends loaned them to us.  Boy were we/they ahem not happy.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, Pax_Orbis said:

We are moving to the lakeside area in March.  We wish to bring a 20-foot shipping container of furnishings and store it for 6-8 months.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to where and with whom we can arrange secure storage.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Having done this years ago moving to a farm, here's a tip: Do not let them place it flat on the ground. It should be up on cross ties or blocks with air space beneath. I dropped mine flat on the ground and it was very humid/damp inside after a month or so. I lost some nice furnishings and books. I had mine professionally packed and and shipped as truck load freight at $1.00 a mile. I saved over 65% of estimated moving van prices.The containers are very secure if you use heavy locks. You will certainly find places to set it for a time. Then use a mover to unload and move to your residence. 

6 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Then, what becomes of the container?  Does it have to be returned, or do you pay to store it forever?  :017:

I think it depends on who owns the container. If it is rented, it has to returned. If you own it, it up to you (store,sell..). 

Archived