Chapala.com Webboard

Advice for driving to Puerto Vallarta.and Bucerias

elisabeth

There is not but two ways to get from here to there.... and by your criteria you have eliminated one of them. That leaves the 15D toll road. 

Go north from Chapala on the road the airport; prior to the airport take the ‘new’ Macrolibramiento west  towards “Tepic”. It will join the 15D west of Guadalajara. Drive west on 15D until you see signs for PV ultimately using Mex 200. South of Las Varas, 200 will become a winding  2 lane  until about Bucerias. That stretch of road will test your perceverance. 

BTW, this is Mexico so you will encounter ‘crazy drivers’ everywhere. Not all of them or Mexican!

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Long way.. to Manzanillo mostly toll roads (maybe you will like it there) then north to Vallarta. No windy mountain roads just a long way to get there.

I´ve done it often and it´s a 2 day trip for me, especially to Bucerias.  Tan solo porque, i had folks that wanted to see ALL of the Costa Alegre.

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Long way.. to Manzanillo mostly toll roads (maybe you will like it there) then north to Vallarta. No windy mountain roads just a long way to get there.

Really boring once you start going  north. It is not a coast road with vistas by any stretch of the imagination. Long and boring.

6 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

Maybe bus it and rent a car? I do the Mita-Ajijic route every summer to dogsit, and sometimes it's four hours, once it was eight hours of torture. But the Mascota route is nothing but torture.

Mascota...….But you save 700 pesos on tolls and gasoline on a round trip.  I love it because you have to drive and can´t fall asleep.

Takes about the same time within 15 or 20 minutes, in fact I will be doing it in a couple of weeks but the Peregrinos to Talpa will make it little longer.  Still a fun trip.

I agree with Slainte39.  The Mascota route is much more interesting. The driving is fun and the scenery is fantastic! Only once, did we see transitos looking over the edge of a cliff for a vehicle that had left the road without a parachute. Lunch and fuel in Mascota is a good choice, and there are some side trips here and there, along the way, like the sleepy farming town of Volcan, on a loop road, and some good scenic stops for photos. You can also make a stop in San Sebastian, just before Puerto Vallarta, for more scenery and libations, etc. The Libations are for your passengers, if you enjoy mountain driving as much as I do/did.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived