Chapala.com Webboard

Leaving via Air while TIP on Car still Valid

BrianInMexico

I entered Mexico on a tourist card and got a TIP for my foreign vehicle.  The TIP clearly states the max return date of 180 days and has no info on it regarding the serial no. of my tourist card, though a copy of it had to be provided at the Banjercito to set the max return date of the car.  Nowhere on the front or back of the TIP doc does it say that you cannot travel ouside Mexico, only that the car must be returned to a border point by the max return date.  I would like to fly from GDL to Canada for a couple weeks in the middle of the period identified on the TIP.  Of course, I will need to hand in my return portion of the tourist card when I leave and get a new one when I get return.  My question is this - Is there any legal restriction, or impact on my refund, on my leaving and returning by air in the middle of the specified TIP period and then returning the car and the TIP normally at the border later, but still within the max return period??

Technically, your car will be in Mexico illegally, the moment you step outside the country. Note that your FMM does show that you entered by car. When you return, your new FMM will show that you entered by air.  Catch-22, could happen if you later have an accident and find that the insurance discovers you car to be tecnically illegal & will not pay, while you remain in jail. 

So, you may get away with it, but I do not recommend that you do so. You are supposed to take the car out whenever you leave, as a tourist. As far as Mexico is concerned, that is a 'given'.

This question has been asked about 1,000 times in the past and there are always 2 (different) answers..... no you can’t and yes you can. There is also antidotal and official ‘evidence’ that ‘yes’ is the right answer. The antidotal answers are usually “yes, because I have done it more than once and I suffered no ill consequences’. Count me in that group as I have done it a couple of times over the years.

The more ‘official’ YES came from a phone call last year (not by me but a reliable ‘professional’ source) and discussion specifically on this subject with a named official at Aduana in CDMX. The Aduana official’s answer was “yes you may legally do this without consequences but you must take the car out by the designated timeframe”. 

So it’s basically up to you as to whether you try it or not.  

It does get "interesting": A tourist may temporarily import a personal vehicle, but what is the status of the vehicle when the tourist leaves it behind?  Does it change when he returns? What about insurance coverage; a tourist policy with a gap? I am beginning to think that nobody can be 100% sure, so I still recommend against taking the chance.

A 10 year RV permit allows one as a tourist to come and go. What is the difference with a 180 day TIP?  Call Aduana if in doubt. 

Archived