Chapala.com Webboard

Passing on highways with paved shoulders

ComputerGuy

In Mexico, when using a retorno , which is always a left turn, you stay in the left lane of the retorno, whether in  Chapala, or on any highway.  It´s like the people who consistently use the right hand lane to turn left onto the Carretera from Independencia in SAT, next to the licorería, when leaving the Superlake area, which is a one way street heading north onto the Carretera.  If you are going to turn left there, stay in the left lane, don´t cross over to the right lane to turn left.

I know it´s not a perfect world, especially when it involves common sense.

You're assuming, Slainte39, that people should KNOW not to even turn IN at that intersection because it's the end of a one way street  going north. They don't. Same with the next intersection beside iShop, they shouldn't be going out onto the highway because it's a one way going south.  Cripes, people are accidents waiting to happen because they don't follow the rules of the road here or understand which way you can drive on a lateral. I see it daily and wonder where the traffic cops are. They could make a fortune at those two intersections alone.

• Like 1

The problem is, most foreigners don´t know how to deal with mordida seeking transitos or they complain about being abused and harassed even when even caught wrongdoing, so the Vialidad jefes pull in their horns when it comes to enforcement.  Whatever they do, it will be wrong to a lot of the foreign community.

I try not to be too judgemental or disturbed about the "mordida" practice here, as it is almost as engrained in the culture, as the Spanish language.

I didn't mean a fortune by asking for mordidas. I meant money for the coffers by handing out much needed tickets for blatant wrong doing. Either that or paint a sign on the road and/or hang signs that clearly say "No entrada/do not enter" and "no salida/do not exit". I want it in both languages because I've seen both Mexicans and Foreigners make these same stupid, dangerous mistakes.

Just because an expat did not have glorietas or laterals back home, doesn't mean that they should not know the rules of the road. In that respect, they are the same. Signals for passing, on the highway vs. in populated areas are different, but easily learned; as is enough Spanish to read traffic signs.  Even ordinary tourists can handle that, so it should definitely be easy for an expat resident. Maybe a new law: Three traffic violations and you lose your residency visa. Immediate deportation for tourists. Driving tests for re-entry or new visas.

• 2 years later...
On 2/18/2019 at 12:16 PM, RickS said:

CG has portrayed one version of using the wide shoulders. MacT is talking about the other version..... where oncoming traffic DOES get into one’s lane expecting 1) the vehicle they are passing to move over onto their shoulder but as important 2) ONCOMING traffic to pull into their shoulder lane to allow the ‘passer’ clear passage. This is usually done while the passer has his/her (NO, this Mexico... I’ll just say HIS!) left turn blinker on. This appears to give carte blanc approval for the procedure. 

This ‘culture’ is somewhat maddening for foreigners and non-believers to come to grips with. Not to speak of the potential danger of such maneuvers. MacT would appear to be one of them. But it is done throughout Mexico and quite effective as long as everyone knows ‘the game’. I do it, except when my wife is in the car. Then I usually don’t do it because I cannot stand to hear/see grown people on the floorboard crying out ‘you are going to get us both killed!!!’.

But it is illegal on drive on the shoulder as it has another purpose.