Chapala.com Webboard

Richard's restaurant in Chapala

lakeside7

• 1 month later...

He placed an ad in last week's Guadalajara Reporter. I am glad to see him back. I'm sure he will be inundated with questions about it, but I'm just hoping he will have the same, stable menu. Plus his fancy ice-creams.

51 minutes ago, Lily H said:

He just re-opened it.

Thanks, Lily. I am glad he’s back. Always has been a special place. Surprises me at the number of people unaware of it after two owners and the number of years it has been open with very few negative reviews and so many positive ones.

Ate there last Friday, his second day re-opened. It is the same menu and familiar specials. We each ordered our old favorites: beef stroganoff, fillet mignon with blue cheese butter, and salmon. There were ice creams, cobblers, and chocolate pots for dessert. Hugh had Jimmy working in the kitchen leaving him more time as host. It was a delightful and delicious experience as always. So glad he is back!  

I do miss being able to go to Richard's.  We enjoyed the original, some years ago, and it is a very special place. Reservations were alwasys required, back then. I suspect it is still a good idea.

21 hours ago, Xena said:

Ate there last Friday, his second day re-opened. It is the same menu and familiar specials. We each ordered our old favorites: beef stroganoff, fillet mignon with blue cheese butter, and salmon. There were ice creams, cobblers, and chocolate pots for dessert. Hugh had Jimmy working in the kitchen leaving him more time as host. It was a delightful and delicious experience as always. So glad he is back!  

So who is Jimmy...I would prefer to have the chef working in the kitchen and leave the hosting to a "nobody"

I don’t know Jimmy, but he said he sells prepared dishes at the Wednesday market in Ajijic and a couple of other places. As you likely know, much of Richard’s menu is prepared ahead and Hugh adapted recipes from Laura, the previous owner. I ordered the beef stroganoff because it has always been my favorite. It was as wonderful as always. Don’t know how they are working out all duties but we enjoyed our evening as much as we always had. It is up to you if you prefer to not give Richard’s another try because of your preference and suppositions. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:18 AM, RVGRINGO said:

I do miss being able to go to Richard's.  We enjoyed the original, some years ago, and it is a very special place. Reservations were alwasys required, back then. I suspect it is still a good idea.

It is not just a good idea, RV. It’s the law. Reservations only. He spaces the seatings so that he can devote enough time to each table.

Archived