Chapala.com Webboard

Printer Koist on Carreteria

carphil

17 hours ago, ronhereagain said:

I'm seeing in increasing number of posts with misspelling in the subject line - maybe a little more care is needed? 

Most is caused by predictive typing on tablets and phones. Something to live with from now on I guess. People don't bother to check what they have accepted.

19 hours ago, ronhereagain said:

I'm seeing in increasing number of posts with misspelling in the subject line - maybe a little more care is needed?

In a former life, before I retied, I was a project manager, technical writer and editor. I was paid to be Big Mama the grammarian. Now as long as I can decipher the mistake, I let it go. Typing on a tablet is a skill some of us may never totally master. I suggest some of you find more important things to worry about.

I simply label the offender as functionally illiterate and/or careless, lazy and inconsiderate. Some, however, just don't know any better, which makes them ignorant, as well. Since newspapers are written at an 8th grade level, I think we should expect that level of writing on any good forum.  Would you fly, sail or drive with people who allow such errors? If so, it could be fatal.

As long as I know what the person means, no worries

Marine can be a very difficult person to catch up with when he has something of yours. 

I know I'm going to get beaten up for this, but I totally agree. I don't let a letter or two bother me because I know how autocorrect can really mess with what's been written, but some of the news articles that actually get printed make me wonder if editors even exist anymore. We all make mistakes, but the rapid dumbing down of the English language is frightening. What's really sad is that there are so many programs out there to help us (Grammarly, etc) whenever we draw a blank.

Archived