Chapala.com Webboard

Got Egrets...How do I get them gone!!!

gringohombre

Here in Oklahoma the egrets during the summer will follow the cattle around and eat grasshoppers and other bugs the cattle may stir up as they walk.  The birds will even ride on the cows back so this is a good thing as grasshoppers eat grass.  However at night thousands of them would roost in a grove of trees.  Killing the trees and creating a stinking mess.  These birds are protected as they migrate between states and countries.  Local officials however wanted to get rid of them so they poisoned them.  When a bird is poisoned it will usually fly until it simply dies while flying.  One woman was working in her yard when dead egrets started falling from the sky.  She raised total hell and the newspapers and environmental people started investigating.  They found out what happened but I don't think anything was ever done about it.

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Here in Oklahoma the egrets during the summer will follow the cattle around and eat grasshoppers and other bugs the cattle may stir up as they walk.  The birds will even ride on the cows back so this is a good thing as grasshoppers eat grass.  However at night thousands of them would roost in a grove of trees.  Killing the trees and creating a stinking mess.  These birds are protected as they migrate between states and countries.  Local officials however wanted to get rid of them so they poisoned them.  When a bird is poisoned it will usually fly until it simply dies while flying.  One woman was working in her yard when dead egrets started falling from the sky.  She raised total hell and the newspapers and environmental people started investigating.  They found out what happened but I don't think anything was ever done about it.

Thank you for that great solution...you have totally solved my problem! NO...I will not poison the birds.  

I live on a property with a very large tree that is  over 100 years old. I am told that we had that same problem years ago, not sure if it was Egrets, but pieces of shiny aluminum were attached to a long pole and when the birds came someone would shake the pole. It didn't take long and the birds no longer came to the tree.

Hope this helps

Im sorry you are having problems with wildlife.  I had a nesting tree in my back yard in Cardiff-by-the-Sea in San Diego and I it is not very fun to live by a rookery if you are a human.  Knowledge is power, so find out all you can from experts.  One consoling aspect is the wonderful guano they produce that makes flowers and veggies grow like rockets.  

You wouldn't much like the guano if it was falling on your car. It will eat the paint if you don't get it off quickly enough.

Seems like shiny objects is the way to go. Either old CD's as mentioned by Camillenparadise or shiny aluminum as suggested by Kosika. If the trees are very large, I would call  Roberto (speaks English) at Chapala Tree Services to install. His guys have all the right safety equipment to get to the very top of the tree.

Edited to add: If you don't have any old CD's, go and buy a spindle pack at Walmart or Steren's or Office Depot. They are cheap.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, bmh said:

Actually they used cohetes during nesting season and the hotel villas Ajijiic cut a lot of branches. They were bot egrets but the type of heron they call perro de agua These birds beside the noice make a huge mess, the babies fall down the nest and you end up with droppings live and dead babies..it is a mess when they chose your tree....

Perros de agua are black-capped night herons, the largest white water birds are great egrets.  They usually nest together.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, gringohombre said:

Love animals, birds and all wildlife (have 3 rescue dogs)...but not very noisy birds in the trees just outside my bedroom windows! The back story; I have lived in this very beautiful home (rental) on a large piece of lakefront property in San Antonio for almost 11 years. I have seen the Egrets come and go in their yearly migrations and admired them for their beauty and grace. A few years ago they began nesting and having babies in the 2 huge, centuries old trees in the front of a small garden apartment building, also lakeside, just down the street from me. Last year the birds were so prolific and noisy that tenets started moving out. So what did the rich Guadalajara owners do? After the birds migrated they hired a crew and over a 2 week period they took down these trees (with about 6 - 8 ft. diameter trunks each) and totally uprooted and covered over the entire area. Most likely illegal, but this is México! Now guess what? They are coming back and since their trees are gone, they have found mine! Not as big, but on the front of the lake so they think they have found a new home. At this point there are only a few and have started building their nests. I am sure they will be inviting all their friends and family and soon I will have the same mess as my neighbors...but right next to my bedroom! I talked to the landlord about this and he suggests that maybe he can hire a crew to lop off all the top branches where the Egrets seem to prefer building their nests. I have my doubts but thought that I might get some better suggestions here. Gracias.

just another NIMBY😣

On 2/17/2019 at 4:45 PM, gringohombre said:

Thank you for that great solution...you have totally solved my problem! NO...I will not poison the birds.  

I was only making comment about egrets was not suggesting you poison them.  In fact I don't know how they poisoned them as they were eating bugs.

Archived