Chapala.com Webboard

Got Egrets...How do I get them gone!!!

gringohombre

Love animals, birds and all wildlife (have 3 rescue dogs)...but not very noisy birds in the trees just outside my bedroom windows! The back story; I have lived in this very beautiful home (rental) on a large piece of lakefront property in San Antonio for almost 11 years. I have seen the Egrets come and go in their yearly migrations and admired them for their beauty and grace. A few years ago they began nesting and having babies in the 2 huge, centuries old trees in the front of a small garden apartment building, also lakeside, just down the street from me. Last year the birds were so prolific and noisy that tenets started moving out. So what did the rich Guadalajara owners do? After the birds migrated they hired a crew and over a 2 week period they took down these trees (with about 6 - 8 ft. diameter trunks each) and totally uprooted and covered over the entire area. Most likely illegal, but this is México! Now guess what? They are coming back and since their trees are gone, they have found mine! Not as big, but on the front of the lake so they think they have found a new home. At this point there are only a few and have started building their nests. I am sure they will be inviting all their friends and family and soon I will have the same mess as my neighbors...but right next to my bedroom! I talked to the landlord about this and he suggests that maybe he can hire a crew to lop off all the top branches where the Egrets seem to prefer building their nests. I have my doubts but thought that I might get some better suggestions here. Gracias.

They, las garzas, used to come every year to the large umbrella like trees on the lakeshore in west ajijic.   Of course this was a beautiful site from the lofty views in Las Salvias but not so much for the folks living under the noise and droppings. Trees are still there birds are not.   I seem to remember very loud noise deterring them from roosting at the onset of nesting not during.  

Actually they used cohetes during nesting season and the hotel villas Ajijiic cut a lot of branches. They were bot egrets but the type of heron they call perro de agua These birds beside the noice make a huge mess, the babies fall down the nest and you end up with droppings live and dead babies..it is a mess when they chose your tree....

I worked for a winery that had a building made out of gabillons, the first of its kind in the world and birds immediately started nesting in the walls making a mess, We tried everything and nothing works for very long. We had owls, screeches of prey birds , name it we tried it.. Nothing worked for long. The most important is not to let them nest as the littles ones who are born with the owls or the screeches or whatever you may come up will lose their fear of it and will nest ther as well.. Noise and cohetes will work at first and if you can get them to move., you will be one step ahead..

Archived