Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel offers "Internet en tu Casa" service

TechnoNorm

Telecel offers 5 Mbps or a 10 Mbps Internet for your house. Requires a 2,000mxn modem purchase and a contract, I think two years, for about 299 or 399 mxn a month. They say unlimited data useage, but I think they downgrade data rate if one exceeds some maximum data useage.

The TelCel office at Centro Laguna Plaza has details. I doubt TelCel distributors can duscuss intelligently.

AT&T and Movistar may offer "Internet en Tu Casa" type services.

I have not evaluated nor compared offerings, BUT apparently there are options to TelMex's Internet service.

Has anyone availed themselves of this service?

I bought the Telcel service and have been using it since August. I purchased the modem - no contract, I pay 199 pesos monthly. MY download speeds are 30 to 60 mbs. You need to have a good quality cellular signal to get high speed. I have never exceed  the 100 gb  data limit so don't know if they throttle if you use too much data. I bought 2 external antennas for the modem and have excellent wifi everywhere in my casa (280 sq meters)

19 minutes ago, Karl Crabkiller said:

I bought the Telcel service and have been using it since August. I purchased the modem - no contract, I pay 199 pesos monthly. MY download speeds are 30 to 60 mbs. You need to have a good quality cellular signal to get high speed. I have never exceed  the 100 gb  data limit so don't know if they throttle if you use too much data. I bought 2 external antennas for the modem and have excellent wifi everywhere in my casa (280 sq meters)

However I understand that the service is via a 2 year contract. 

We have  had the service for about 6 months now. We average about 30 Mbps both up and down and with almost no latency. We are on the mountain side in West Ajijic and have direct line of sight to a cell tower. You do have to purchase the modem and agree to a 2 year contract but the contract can be terminated for a modest fee. Definitely the way to go.

I've been using Telcel internet for 3 years. It's the modem for 2000 pesos and the plan and the unlimited part that's new. If you have a cell phone that has a modem function, you don't need the 2000 peso Telcel modem, you can just connect to your computer through the phone modem. Then you use the Internet pay-as-you-need it. Currently I am using the $300 peso option, that gives me 7GB for a month. if I needed more, I could opt for the 500 peso package.

So it's not unlimited, but you don't have to sign any contract or bring the modem back in when it stops working properly, which, judging from the number of people I know who have to take their Telmex modems in to be replaced, will likely happen with the Telcel modems as well.

Just signed up for the Telcel Internet en Su Casa service with Ana at the Telcel store near Alex's. Absolutely fabulous service.

Ana Maria Romero H,  376 766 1254/331 411 9100

I signed up for a plan that includes a modem for use in the house and a new SIM card to go in my phone. Got the modem the same day - although she said it could take a day or two. She called me and told me when it was ready. She even came back to the store at 7pm last night for me to pick it up. She spent some time going through all the setup details. VERY thorough and complete explanation. The new SIM card will be available on Monday as the are porting over the number from my existing Telcel plan so I can keep the same number.

One option is the two year contract with the modem costing $2000 pesos. The cost is included in the monthly bill.

Another option - and the one I used - is to pay $2500 pesos for the modem up front and then a 3 month commitment. Paid for the modem, three months at $399/month some of which is a deposit. Walkout total was around $3700. I start paying the $399/month in March with the remaining deposit to be applied it the end if & when I cancel. 

Got home and had it setup in about 5 minutes. Couldn't have been easier. And the service Ana provided could not have been better. Definitely the go to place.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, Karl Crabkiller said:

What modem did you purchase? The cost per month is listed as 299/5M or 399/10M....The HUAWEI LTE is the modem supplied at 909 pesos if the 10M package is purchased.

Replying to Alpha1's question to Karl Crabkiller -

They have two different modems available and I "think" they were the same price. I took the one Ana recommended which is Alcatel. The main difference is that this one has two LAN ports for wired/Ethernet connection while the other one didn't if I remember correctly. The Alcatel modem will also accept two external antennas which I am not currently using but plan to try out over the weekend. I don't know if the other modem had that feature as I didn't really look at it.

They are installing fibre. They were somewhere in Chapala last November. Who knows what the goal is. No, TelMex will never guarantee anything but the minimum speed they advertise. Unless they show you (us!) a plan that states the capabilities that make them better than Ilox, take it with a grain of salt. Right now that would have to include a median of 100 Mbps download, a minimum of 75 Mbps download (a phone number with free long distance), and a network of TV channels, to match Ilox. And Ilox offers even higher speeds for more money.

This is a good conversation and I do not know many of the answers....but I have heard:

-  That the Telcel Internet at home service works good but not so good for streaming, especially non-Netflix content.  Can anyone confirm that?

-  Telmex is short IP addresses and they're not getting new assignments, which has affected their expansion (may be a rumor).

-  Anyone offering public services has to follow Mexico IFETEL regs, which Ilox told me, can't drop below 10% of stated speed during peak hours within their network.   But that doesn't count for services beyond their gateway to the rest of the Internet.   If you are teaching Chinese students English from Mexico on a videoconference, that might be an issue.  The quality of service you'll get for connections beyond their gateways, (for consumer residential service), depends entirely upon the quality Telmex, Ilox, Telecable, or anyone else wants you to have...i.e. market conditions.   Gateway connections are pricey, so they oversubscribe them to whatever they can get away with. 

- Services like Google, Netflix,  Facebook and others, peer directly into Telmex and Ilox networks through their own connections, which is why the quality is high.  They take it upon themselves to make sure you're happy.

- If you don't like the quality of what you're getting, there's always business level agreements that guarantee the service level to what you need.

- Ilox network is native fiber from the home all the way to their gateways.   From your house up to their gateways, there just aren't any bottlenecks.   So if you're doing things like IP phone and Video conferencing domestically, its naturally going to be good service.

Archived