Chapala.com Webboard

Has cost of electricity gone up lately?

sm1mex

3 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

The DAC rate in Chapala cuts in only after the 12 month total KWHs exceed the subsidized 3000 KWHs and stays there until your 12 month average goes below 3000 KWHs not everytime you go over what you described as causing the DAC rate to cut in. When in the DAC you have no subsidized KWHs at all. You pay about $0.32 dollars per KWH on what you consume. Example 500 KWHs for 2 months will be about $3000.00 pesos. That usage is what the maximum average usage is to keep you subsidized when averaged over 12 months. 3000÷12= 250 × 2 = 500 KWHs per billing period if it is every 2 months.

You can go over the 500 KWHs sometimes as long as you go under other times in 12 months and get an average of 250 KWHs per month with no problem.

The chart on the bill shows where you are at every billing period. The part where it turns red means you are over that billing period. Watch the chart and keep the bills and add up your total comsumptipn to see how close you are and adjust usage accordingly. Your last 6 - 2 month bills will tell you without messing with the CFE  website.

Yes, Alan, I didn't go into the fine points of the DAC rate, partly because I've never been in that rate, so don't know all the details, but mostly was just trying to explain to the poster that there are different rates for different amounts of usage, which she didn't seem to be aware of.

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

Sonia and I are looking for a RECENT bill from anyone (without solar) who used more than 280 kwh on their last bill to determine if it's still at 150 and 130. If either of those numbers have gone DOWN, then the bills would be HIGHER.

On a December 2018 bill the breaks were still 150 and 130. 

13 hours ago, Ferret said:

Sonia and I are looking for a RECENT bill from anyone (without solar) who used more than 280 kwh on their last bill to determine if it's still at 150 and 130. If either of those numbers have gone DOWN, then the bills would be HIGHER.

Just go on line and check your CFE bill or if you have not set that up, you can still go to the CFE home rates information page, and it still shows 75 for the first and 65 KWH for the second step. So yes it is still 150 and 130 for two months. Oh and for the exact charge per KWH, we are in the Tariff 1 zone. It has been the same for ages. And having solar does not change the 150 and 130.

Having solar lowers the amount of power you consume from CFE, not the charge per KWH schedule.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, Tiny said:

I wonder if you got new meter.

Tiny, a new meter was on the list of considerations (as was adding a 2nd meter)  but the entire house (or at lest the parts of it that go to my desktop computers) needs to be re--wired. The thin gauge wire that was originally used heats up and causes resistance thereby necessitating greater electrical pull. But, thanks for the thought.  $3800 pesos this 2-mo bill --  very small gauge wires in this house.

Nothing I have read so far on this subject makes any sense whatsoever, at least as it pertains to my bill.  First of all, my bills are not marked with an x to denote if they were meter read or estimated.  Then, for as long as I have been in this particular  house, my bills were no more than 169 (maybe 200? in winter? but maybe not, certainly never above that).  The previous house I lived in which had a bigger fridge I had bills of 250.  All of a sudden this month my bill is 577.  The only difference I can see is that is that 1.  the kwh basico is the same =250.   The intermedio has gone from 28 to 130 -  And this month, for the very first time, it records an Excedente, and that is 90.  Interesting that in 3 years here I have NEVER had an exedente listed and this was NOT a particularly cold winter.... I have been here 15 years so I know what is a cold winter and what is not, and although we had a bit of cold weather early on, it has actually been a pretty mild winter.

Personally I think CFE just upped the cost and without warning.  I guess I should be lucky.  Mine "only" went to 577 (but of course that's 3 times as much).  I talked to the guards at our gate and they showed me bills this month of other people that were 1400 and someone's was 4000.  And, no, no one has a pool here because we have 2 common pools for the fraccc.

16 minutes ago, gringal said:

I just got a bill over double last months'.  A neighbor told me my bill was over double his, and his facilities are similar to mine. I have 9 solar panels.  My first step will be getting an electrician to come and check the system. 

My first step when it happened to me was to compare the meter's numbers with the bill. The readers do make errors. My last bill for two months was 136p, so I assume it eventually evens out.

Archived