Chapala.com Webboard

Has cost of electricity gone up lately?

sm1mex

13 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

We have solar and our bill for 2 months has been between 80-100 pesos, but for the last 2 bills, it has been over 200 pesos and we have not done anything different to use more electricity.  Have the rates gone up?

it's easy enuf to check the rate and usage on the bill and tehn compare.

The current bill for tariff 01 shows basic at .796 and intermedio .960. Almost identical to the end of 2017 when it was ..793/.956.

The last suma number I have is 2.802 in November 2017. It was the same in April 2018.. Don't know what it is now.

I have looked at my bill for a long time.  It is very convoluted.  It says I used 375 kWh for total period, then for basico 148 x 0.796, then for intermedio 77 x 0.960 but this doesn't add up to 375 kWh for the total bill 224 pesos.  I just don't get it. 

Does anybody know why you are charged 2 different rates (basico and intermedio) when you only use 375 kWh over 2 months?

Anybody else confused when you look at your electric bill? 

19 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

I opened the website and it brought up a picture of a electric bill but I don’t know how to get that into my Google translator. ???

Is it a web page or pdf?

If it is a web page, are you using Chrome? If so, do you have the Google Translator extension installed?

17 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

I opened the website and it brought up a picture of a electric bill but I don’t know how to get that into my Google translator. ???

if is a pdf, download it to your pc and try this.

https://translate.google.com/?tr=f&hl=en#view=home&op=docs&sl=auto&tl=en

Select document.

If the numbers actually lined up with the category for which the charge is, it would be a lot easier to understand. The website is a very bad example to try and understand the bill.

Lectura actual is the meter reading 687... Lectura anterior is the meter reading before 394 (please note the little x to show that it is actual meter reading and not an estimate)….. Therefore, between the most recent bill and the last one, you used 293 Kwh. in total (687-394). The first 150 kwh costs 0.793 pesos per kwh (150x0.793) = 118.95 pesos. The next 130 kwh costs 0.956 pesos per kwh (130x0.956) = 124.28 pesos. Anything in excess of the sum of the first two levels is charged at 2.802 pesos per kwh (13x 2.802) = 36.43 pesos. Those are all added up for your subtotal of 279.66

Then 16% IVA (value added tax) and various other dribs and drabs are added to arrive at your final total.

AvisoRecibo-DatosFacturacion.jpg

I have my panels cleaned perhaps every 4 weeks, depending on the time of the year. And with less sun during the previous months, it would be normal to need to use more electricity from CFE.. I just checked my CFE bill on line for the period 11 Dec to 11 Feb. and I generated fewer KWH than normal, but because I had two extra panels installed, I still generated slightly more than I used. So my bill is/was as always $46 to $47 pesos.

I also checked the per KWH rate for our area which is tariff 1. and there were no major changes. Shown below are the monthly rates for lakeside, as long as you are not in DAC for February,

Remember that CFE charges you for at least 25 KWH per month whether you use any electricity or not. Therefore the minimum charge is 50 KWH times $0.779 pesos per kilowatt hour plus 16% IVA or about $47 pesos for two months.

Consumo básico           0.799           por cada uno de los primeros 75 (setenta y cinco) kilowatts-hora.
Consumo intermedio           0.964           por cada uno de los siguientes 65 (sesenta y cinco) kilowatt-hora.
Consumo excedente           2.824

por cada kilowatt-hora adicional a los anteriores.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:32 PM, sm1mex said:

I have looked at my bill for a long time.  It is very convoluted.  It says I used 375 kWh for total period, then for basico 148 x 0.796, then for intermedio 77 x 0.960 but this doesn't add up to 375 kWh for the total bill 224 pesos.  I just don't get it. 

Does anybody know why you are charged 2 different rates (basico and intermedio) when you only use 375 kWh over 2 months?

Anybody else confused when you look at your electric bill? 

I have no idea why the total number or KW hrs used doesn't correspond to the 148 in basic and 77 in intermediate. But to answer your question, that is how electricity rates in Mexico work- basic rate is charged on the first XX number of KW hrs, then intermediate rate charged on up to whatever number of KW hrs above the basic, then into the dreaded DAC rate on any usage above that.

53 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I have no idea why the total number or KW hrs used doesn't correspond to the 148 in basic and 77 in intermediate. But to answer your question, that is how electricity rates in Mexico work- basic rate is charged on the first XX number of KW hrs, then intermediate rate charged on up to whatever number of KW hrs above the basic, then into the dreaded DAC rate on any usage above that.

The DAC rate in Chapala cuts in only after the 12 month total KWHs exceed the subsidized 3000 KWHs and stays there until your 12 month average goes below 3000 KWHs not everytime you go over what you described as causing the DAC rate to cut in. When in the DAC you have no subsidized KWHs at all. You pay about $0.32 dollars per KWH on what you consume. Example 500 KWHs for 2 months will be about $3000.00 pesos. That usage is what the maximum average usage is to keep you subsidized when averaged over 12 months. 3000÷12= 250 × 2 = 500 KWHs per billing period if it is every 2 months.

You can go over the 500 KWHs sometimes as long as you go under other times in 12 months and get an average of 250 KWHs per month with no problem.

The chart on the bill shows where you are at every billing period. The part where it turns red means you are over that billing period. Watch the chart and keep the bills and add up your total comsumptipn to see how close you are and adjust usage accordingly. Your last 6 - 2 month bills will tell you without messing with the CFE  website.

Were the basico always 150 and the Intermedio always 130?

I suspect they were higher numbers until recently.  Does someone have a bill from say a year ago to compare?

It has been that way for many years 75 then 65 or for two months the first step is 150 and second 130. Pretty sure it has been that way for ten or more years. If I remember, when I come back to Mx next week, I can check back even more years.

Sonia and I are looking for a RECENT bill from anyone (without solar) who used more than 280 kwh on their last bill to determine if it's still at 150 and 130. If either of those numbers have gone DOWN, then the bills would be HIGHER.

Archived