Chapala.com Webboard

Our adventure with the Mexican FCC

Fred Habacht

Several days ago, we received a visit from two well dressed men with ID's from AT&T. They had equipment with them that showed we were "transmitting" a signal from our casa that was blocking their local signals. They asked to come in and scan the house. We allowed it and they found nothing. Then yesterday a large red government truck with antenna and a rotating "radar" dish began to circle our local streets and came to a stop in front of our property. These were uniformed Federal officials. They were polite. They said that a formal complaint was made against us by AT&T for transmitting an illegal signal....

Again we allowed a full search and finally their hand held devices pinpointed our "illegal transmitter." My wife uses a set of head phones from Steren to listen to TV at night......and that was the illegal device. After unplugging it....all signs of disturbance ceased.

We were thanked for our cooperation and off they went....FYI

Fred Habacht

We use Sennheiser RF cordless phones for the TV, rated at 328 feet through walls. That's a lot of distance; you can wear them while doing laundry or sunning on the roof. So far, no big evil trucks. Very curious.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-stereo-wireless-rs-135

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

We use Sennheiser RF cordless phones for the TV, rated at 328 feet through walls. That's a lot of distance; you can wear them while doing laundry or sunning on the roof. So far, no big evil trucks. Very curiuos.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-stereo-wireless-rs-135

Excellent technology...I have enjoyed......Sennheiser🙂

Back to the original post on the men from AT&T: a couple of years ago, we had 2 guys wearing AT&T gear show up at our gate saying that they were going around the neighborhood replacing outdated equipment and they had noticed that our transformer was outdated. For 1000 pesos they could install a new one on the spot. So, I gave them the money and when I mentioned this at the AT&T office, they said it was a scam--it either wasn't "real" AT&T employees, or they had 2 employees out scamming people. The supervisor at AT&T showed me employee photos but I was unable to identify the culprits. (The supervisor asked me if they were wearing shirts with the AT&T insignia like his shirt, and I said yes, but that their shirts looked newer than his.)

1 hour ago, Paco Loco said:

What neighborhood are you in. Maybe they are looking for the unlicensed FM radio station that broadcasts in Ajijic?

In many countries, and I believe in Mexico as well, if the power of the transmitter is less than 10 or 2 or 1 Watt, it is not illegal. It is called a repeater. I bought one that is legal in the US that has an output power of one watt and can be picked up much like the station we have in Ajijic. Say I from rainy Seattle where I have said repeater.

So this repeater we are able to hear when I am in Ajijic could very well be legal,  I  do not know. I for one hope it's still working when I return next week.

Archived