Chapala.com Webboard

need info on renewing US passport

twelveoaks

16 hours ago, Tiny said:

I used my US Master Card to pay for my passport and had to use pesos to have FedEx deliver the passport here in Guadalajara.  I do not know anything about having the passport sent to a US mailing address.  

Tiny,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how much the FedEx fee is ?

1 hour ago, twelveoaks said:

Tiny,

I renewed in Guadalajara early this Wednesday morning without a "cita" just by showing up. FedEx charge was $153.00 pesos to San Luis Potosi. They only wanted to hold it at their FedEx office close to my house not deliver it to my house. I didn't ask why. 2 to 4 weeks  ETA.

One of the best services offered to those living in the Lakeside area is that the consulate will pick up and deliver your passport to either the American Legion or LCS... This is done on a monthly basis... The only hurdle is that one has to have a Banamex check in the correct amount when turning in your passport... It saves a trip to Guadalajara...

1 hour ago, twelveoaks said:

Tiny,

Sorry, I don't remember how much it was for delivery in Guadalajara. If I had to guess I would say around 100 peses but the varies with delivery location.. 

If a person is sick or disabled and they need to renew and they have their old passport in their possession we can help them renew and they do not need to go to Guadalajara.  Fedex is usually 100 pesos or a bit less to send to Guadalajara and around 140-160 pesos to the Chapala area.  This is for each document so if you applied for passport and passport card then price is double.  

9 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

If a person is sick or disabled and they need to renew and they have their old passport in their possession we can help them renew and they do not need to go to Guadalajara.  Fedex is usually 100 pesos or a bit less to send to Guadalajara and around 140-160 pesos to the Chapala area.  This is for each document so if you applied for passport and passport card then price is double.  

I got a passport and passport card last time. I carry the card as an id. I don't have a driver's license anymore. I don't need to drive.

9 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

I got a passport and passport card last time. I carry the card as an id. I don't have a driver's license anymore. I don't need to drive.

When I renewed mine at their monthly visit to the Legion last year this month, the exchange rate had changed between when I got my check and the day they came.  Fortunately it was in my favor, they accepted the check and when I picked up my new passport a month later, there was a little envelope with my cash change in it.  I don't know what would happen if it went the other way however.  They did not take my current passport because they said they realized we all could have an emergency trip come up.  That I believe is new.  When I got my new one, they did the punching of the old one on the spot and gave it back to me as well.  Some people have travel visas in the old passport that are still valid so you have to carry both until they all expire.

22 minutes ago, phxfunguy said:

When I renewed mine at their monthly visit to the Legion last year this month, the exchange rate had changed between when I got my check and the day they came.  Fortunately it was in my favor, they accepted the check and when I picked up my new passport a month later, there was a little envelope with my cash change in it.  I don't know what would happen if it went the other way however.  They did not take my current passport because they said they realized we all could have an emergency trip come up.  That I believe is new.  When I got my new one, they did the punching of the old one on the spot and gave it back to me as well.  Some people have travel visas in the old passport that are still valid so you have to carry both until they all expire.

You never know what they are going do. I renewed mine a year ago in Guadalajara. In the pic is my old passport and my new one.  No holes.

IMG_20190222_125357.thumb.jpg.fefe1dfc670528336f7c24ed0d071ac0.jpg

The one before these two has holes.

Archived