Chapala.com Webboard

need info on renewing US passport

twelveoaks

If you have recently renewed your US passport I would appreciate any answers to these questions !

My wife and I will need to renew our passports   and we plan on going to the American Legion on March 13th. I have all of the necessary paperwork but have a couple of questions I cannot get answers for.

First: I will need to call and get the exchange rate the Friday prior to Wednesday the 13th but don't know what number to call. Can you give me that number or tell me where to find it ?

Second: The application asks for my mailing address on page one. I use IShop so that address is in Texas but I live here permanently. On the second page it asks for permanent address if different from mailing address. I am assuming I would use Laredo Texas for mailing and Ajijic for permanent. Is this correct ?

Lastly: Where can I get proper photographs around Ajijic which is where I live. They will not accept Farmacia Guadalajara photos.

Thanks in advance for your help !

First: I will need to call and get the exchange rate the Friday prior to Wednesday the 13th but don't know what number to call. Can you give me that number or tell me where to find it ? No, they will be published on this forum like every other month on the Monday before.

Second: The application asks for my mailing address on page one. I use IShop so that address is in Texas but I live here permanently. On the second page it asks for permanent address if different from mailing address. I am assuming I would use Laredo Texas for mailing and Ajijic for permanent. Is this correct ? No need to worry as the passports will be at the next American Legion passport event the following month no matter what you put on the passport application.

Lastly: Where can I get proper photographs around Ajijic which is where I live. They will not accept Farmacia Guadalajara photos. Studio Zaragoza, Calle López Cotilla 290, Chapala Centro, 45900 Chapala, Jal. https://studio-zaragoza.negocio.site/

My husband and I just renewed our passports in January and picked them up yesterday at the Legion.

• Use your Texas mailing address
  • Use your Ajijic permanent address
  • They do accept Farmacia Guadalajara photos.  Not an issue.  We tried going to photographer mentioned but was closed due to holidays.

Go to this link:  https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passport-services/

It answers your questions and also gives an email address if you have more.  The embassy was very fast, no later than next day, on their email responses regarding a couple of questions I had.

I called the embassy the morning of renewing our passports, asked amount needed for the check and also asked if I could get one check for both renewals.  One check was fine which saved me from having to pay two check fees from the bank. Very helpful.  If your check is not for the correct amount it will not be accepted.  Only use the figure given to you by the embassy.  Do not go by exchange rates.

3 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Oh, and you can use your U.S. debit or credit card to pay at the consulate and they have a FedEx booth where you can pay a reasonable fee to have your new passports delivered to your door. You may also opt to pick them up at the Legion or LCS. So much easier and ultimately, cheaper IMO.

Hi Oregontochapala,

I appreciate your input and I do agree with you. After reviewing all of the costs and time involved with doing it here we have decided to go to Guadalajara. We have a person that will schedule an appointment for us and take us there.

I do have a few questions I hope you can answer however.

Do we need to bring our own photographs  or do they take them at the consulate ?

What else do I need to bring ? Proof of residence ? Mexican visa ? Anything you can think of!!

Thanks

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Oh, and you can use your U.S. debit or credit card to pay at the consulate and they have a FedEx booth where you can pay a reasonable fee to have your new passports delivered to your door. You may also opt to pick them up at the Legion or LCS. So much easier and ultimately, cheaper IMO.

SENT YOU A P.M.

8 hours ago, Al Berca said:

The US Embassy in Mexico is in Mexico City and there is only one. The others, including GDL, are called US Consulates.

This comment is really petty.  I am sorry if I did not state that the Guadalajara is a consulate, and not the embassy.  Typed it as I was reading their website info.  The web address I gave is for the CONSULATE in Guadalajara.  Go to their website as quoted, https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passport-services/.  See what comes up.  When trying to help someone it does not requests undo criticism that is minutiae.  Jeez, some people really need to get a life and take a chill pill. 

Cricket, when I made that same error years ago, someone corrected me to, and I appreciated the information given.  Al Berca was most likely trying to be helpful. I've been here 21 years now and am still learning about Mexico. And although I speak Mexican Spanish, sadly I accidentally use a lot of street slang. And people are always correcting me. The more I am corrected the better Spanish I speak. And I appreciate the help.

Have a great day, say I from the rainy and snowy north for five more days. :)

On 2/14/2019 at 8:14 AM, oregontochapala said:

sent you another PM

On 2/14/2019 at 8:14 AM, oregontochapala said:

I was finally able to print DS-82. I will go to the consulate so I can use my credit card. Thanks for your help!

On 2/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, Tiny said:

For the passport you can use a credit card. For FedEx you need cash (last time we used it)

Hi Tiny,

Tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't let me. I just want to verify that I can use my credit card at the Consulate for my passport renewal. Also, I don't understand about the FedEx portion of your message. I did not plan to use FedEx just have the passport sent to my mailing address in the US. 

Can you clarify ?

2 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

Hi Tiny,

Tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't let me. I just want to verify that I can use my credit card at the Consulate for my passport renewal. Also, I don't understand about the FedEx portion of your message. I did not plan to use FedEx just have the passport sent to my mailing address in the US. 

Can you clarify ?

I used my US Master Card to pay for my passport and had to use pesos to have FedEx deliver the passport here in Guadalajara.  I do not know anything about having the passport sent to a US mailing address.  

11 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

Hi Tiny,

Can you clarify ?

I just remembered.  I think they punched a couple of holes in the cover of the current passport,  I can't remember if that makes invalid.

Consulate accepts cash (pesos and US Dollars) and credit cards.  Cash is king as I have seen a few people who had problems with credit cards and didnt have the cash and had to come back another day.  Fedex only accepts pesos.  You can go to the consulate Monday through Thursday 12-12.30pm with no appointment for renewals.  

1 minute ago, Intercasa said:

Consulate accepts cash (pesos and US Dollars) and credit cards.  Cash is king as I have seen a few people who had problems with credit cards and didnt have the cash and had to come back another day.  Fedex only accepts pesos.  You can go to the consulate Monday through Thursday 12-12.30pm with no appointment for renewals.  

Did you see my comment about the holes in the passport? Can you travel internationally with the holes in your passport?

2 hours ago, twelveoaks said:

Hi Tiny,

Can you clarify ?

12 minutes ago, Ellie said:

No, they keep your passport until the new one is issued. They will return your old passport WITH the holes and you cannot travel internationally.

I was just trying to understand how they were going to get the new passport unless someone else brings it to them.

The consulate has basically 3 options to get you the new passport.  1) Have it send to you by Fedex to your local Mexican address.  2) Pick it up at Consulate.  3) Have them bring it to you when they do their monthly visit.  

9 hours ago, Intercasa said:

The consulate has basically 3 options to get you the new passport.  1) Have it send to you by Fedex to your local Mexican address.  2) Pick it up at Consulate.  3) Have them bring it to you when they do their monthly visit.  

Spencer, do you do passports(i.e.) take people to the consulate ?

Archived