Chapala.com Webboard

Need an Optometrist at Lakeside

Guest English Rose

Yup--Luz Zepeda is great. You have to go to LCS and sign up in advance on the back patio. She comes to LCS on Thursdays but is always fully booked by then, so go sign up earlier in the week.

I took her prescription to Costco had an eye exam there, too. When comparing the two eye exams, they were not identical, but about as similar as they could be to each other without being identical. Unfortunately, with my complicated prescription, Luz told me she could not even come close to the Costco price.

Both my nephew and I have used  her for the last 8 years.  As stated by ibbocat a very concerned and caring optometrist.

I recommend selecting your appointment a week prior to your visit.  She does exams in the morning (10a.m. ? to 1or2p.m.) then uses the afternoon appointments for dispensing and fitting glasses.

I prefer to have my eyes examined by an ophthalmologist, an actual MD that not only prescribes corrective lenses, they also check for internal diseases. They give you a prescription that can then be shopped for the best eyewear deal offsetting the higher examination cost.

I am with Angus on this. You want an Ophthalmologist who can test for glaucoma and for cataracts and do a retinal scan which may indicate damage from undiagnosed diabetes. Simply getting a prescription to "fix" your eyesight with no consideration for why it needs to be fixed is just a bandaid solution.  

Well, for any of you who do decide to seek the advice of an opthalmologist, I also strongly recommend Dra. Claudia Camocha.  She comes here on Wednesday from GDL and her office is above the Immigration Office, just before downtown Chapala.  You usually have to book far ahead to see her, i.e. possibly 2 months.

I used Dra Claudia for my cataract surgery. I am very happy with her. At the moment we are working on tweaking my vision a bit so I can see better for reading.

Both my husband and I recently had cataract surgery done by Dra. Claudia Camacho and we are very happy--she is very professional and poised, very thorough, she carefully explains everything, pleasantly answers all questions, takes an interest in you, and she speaks perfect English. She maintains an office above INM in Chapala but the surgery is done at her private clinic in Guadalajara.

1 hour ago, Alpha1 said:

Yes, however in my emergency situation I couldn't get an appointment soon enough... Drove to the clinic in Guadalajara. Too important and serious to wait... 

You should have told them it was an emergency and why. I was able to see her in 2 days after I thought I may have damaged my eyes after an episode of extremely high blood pressure last April. My vision was very blurry and my eyes kept jumping around. She was very thorough with her examination and her calm manner allayed any fears that I had. No my eyesight wasn't damaged and remained the same crappy vision that I've always had. She did warn me about a small cataract that is developing in my right eye and said we will keep an eye on it. She would not operate until absolutely necessary since she classified me as a "one eyed patient". That made me laugh and I immediately thought of the "one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater". She's exceptional!

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

You should have told them it was an emergency and why. I was able to see her in 2 days after I thought I may have damaged my eyes after an episode of extremely high blood pressure last April. My vision was very blurry and my eyes kept jumping around. She was very thorough with her examination and her calm manner allayed any fears that I had. No my eyesight wasn't damaged and remained the same crappy vision that I've always had. She did warn me about a small cataract that is developing in my right eye and said we will keep an eye on it. She would not operate until absolutely necessary since she classified me as a "one eyed patient". That made me laugh and I immediately thought of the "one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater". She's exceptional!

Did say, however could not see me. Would not want to wait beyond 24 hours.

23 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I have been diagnosed with cataracts and hear that Dra. Claudia Camocha mentioned here is highly recommended for this. Can I get feedback bueno o malo? Gracias

I cannot sing her praises loud enough. Since I've posted about her before, I'll just say that I genuinely believe that she is one step away from a miracle worker. I went from -8 and -8.5 in contacts with so-so vision (often headaches, etc) to perfect 20/20 and no readers  (Zeiss trifocal lenses implanted). I had used a previously recommended optometrist for a contact prescription and his attitude was about as uncaring as I've ever seen. It's another long story, so I won't go into it, but he's the reason I decided to give Dr. Claudia a try and...well...you already know the fantastic outcome.

Archived