Chapala.com Webboard

Honda CRV repair needed

Beebee

What year is your CRV? I'm sure there will be a lot of nay sayers but if it is fairly new try taking it to the dealers. My wife and I bought a 2017 Honda Fit new and have had all the maintenance since then done by Vanguardia. You'll be assured that all fluids  and parts are genuine Honda parts. One time we had a noise coming from the front end that sounded like a shock had broken. Took it to the dealer and found out that there was a bracket that had come loose, fixed, no charge.

IMO, unless your CR-V is still under warranty and the suspension work might be covered, I’d have it done locally.

Suspension parts.... struts/shocks, tie-road ends, bushings, torsion bars, etc..... are not rocket science items to replace. Felipe, mentioned above, will and can do that job with one arm tied behind his back!  AND, he won’t replace anything that doesn’t need to be replaced, his charge will be half what a Guadalajara dealership will charge without the hassle that involves for most.

Felipe speaks fluent English and is a very nice guy. If, for some reason you must/want to have only genuine Honda parts.... not at all necessary!..... he can easily get those too. You’ll just pay more.  If certain components are replaced, the CR-V will have to have a front end alignment done at the end. Felipe will probably sublet that part out Lakeside as it takes specialized/expensive equipment. 

Rafa, the car wash guy who sells a lot of CRVs swears by the mechanic on the west side of the road running down from the carretera between the Walmart and the new construction.  Has anyone used this guy?  I want a brake job and brake fluid change on my CRV.  I already have the parts.

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Rafa, the car wash guy who sells a lot of CRVs swears by the mechanic on the west side of the road running down from the carretera between the Walmart and the new construction.  Has anyone used this guy?  I want a brake job and brake fluid change on my CRV.  I already have the parts.

Noo. I went to him for service and caught them putting in 40 weight oil when it should be 15. He tried to tell me 15 was not available in Mexico. I have had mine, both the 1997 and the 2005 serviced by Ricardo, does excellent work and will go the extra mile. Last time he got my radio working again AND set the clock. Both without my asking, he checks if there is something which needs doing and does. it. Great work, never had a complaint. BTW, Ricardo used to be the head mechanic at Francisco. Speaks perfect English and will pick-up and deliver. Ricardo Ramirez , cell 331-265-6956

Bought a used Honda CRV from a friend several years ago. She gave me a great deal because there was a bad noise in the front end and she had taken it to the Honda dealer, who told her the shocks all needed replacing, to the tune of about $600 US (and that was years ago). I bought it and took it to my long-time Mexican mechanic who looked it over and said there was nothing wrong with the shocks at all- the boot on the driver's side needed replacing. Think it ran me about 400 pesos.

Unless a vehicle is still under warranty, dealerships are vastly more expensive, ( and may scam you into unneeded work) than a well-recommended Mexican mechanic.

19 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Noo. I went to him for service and caught them putting in 40 weight oil when it should be 15. He tried to tell me 15 was not available in Mexico. I have had mine, both the 1997 and the 2005 serviced by Ricardo, does excellent work and will go the extra mile. Last time he got my radio working again AND set the clock. Both without my asking, he checks if there is something which needs doing and does. it. Great work, never had a complaint. BTW, Ricardo used to be the head mechanic at Francisco. Speaks perfect English and will pick-up and deliver. Ricardo Ramirez , cell 331-265-6956

Thank you very much for your response.  You probably saved me a serious headache.  Any mechanic that thinks it is OK to put 40W in a CRV is one that a CRV owner should avoid.

Everybody good with Felipe?

Archived