Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Sturdley

squirrels chewing cushions

Recommended Posts

I was told it was against the law to poison the squirrels but you could poison the rats.  In Ajijic hardware stores they sell a bar of rat poison.  It can be broken up and placed in strategic places.  This will take care of your "rat" problem.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I was told it was against the law to poison the squirrels but you could poison the rats.  In Ajijic hardware stores they sell a bar of rat poison.  It can be broken up and placed in strategic places.  This will take care of your "rat" problem.        

Don't use poison. It makes my stew taste funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And remember when folks use poison often by the time the rat is dead, it is on another persons property who just may own a dog or cat. And often the rat will be consumed by this innocent pet and the pet will die. It happens every year.

With a cat or two, the problem almost always goes away

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a neigborhood den of Grey Foxes, which takes care of rats, squirrels and possums. Amazing animals - true fact - they can run 45 km p.h and are one of only two canids which climb trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete is right. PLEASE don't use poison. The dying squirrel or rat can be eaten by other people's dogs or cats and then the pet dies a painful death as well. Either bring the cushions inside when not in use or get a cat. Trap and release just means the critter comes back home in a few hours or days.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told it was against the law to poison the squirrels but you could poison the rats.  In Ajijic hardware stores they sell a bar of rat poison.  It can be broken up and placed in strate

4 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Pete is right. PLEASE don't use poison. The dying squirrel or rat can be eaten by other people's dogs or cats and then the pet dies a painful death as well. Either bring the cushions inside when not in use or get a cat. Trap and release just means the critter comes back home in a few hours or days.

I agree a cat is the best solution but I like birds and a cat is a birds worst enemy.  If I remember correctly in England they said over half of baby blue birds are eaten by cats.  I also agree a  dog or cat may come back if you only take it a few kilometers but a squirrel will not.  I had not thought about a pet eating a poisoned rat so maybe it is not the best solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...