Chapala.com Webboard
Sturdley

squirrels chewing cushions

Squirrels have been chewing our outdoor cushions.  This has even happened during the daytime.  I am wondering if something could be sprayed on the cushions to prevent this.  Any suggestions?

28 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Jalapeño juice diluted with water

I am glad someone make the first joke. Thank you.

I was going to say "That mixture will not work if they are Mexican squirrels."

I wonder if a garden center (local or big box,  Home Depot) or on-line would have a repellent. I used one up North for deer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiny said:

I am glad someone make the first joke. Thank you.

I was going to say "That mixture will not work if they are Mexican squirrels."

I wonder if a garden center (local or big box,  Home Depot) or on-line would have a repellent. I used one up North for deer.

It wasn"t a joke. Some squirrels chewed thru my Ford pickup wiring harness once in Texas up under the air cleaner where there was an electric element that heated the diesel in winter time.  I had it repaired then sprayed Jalapeño juice on the repair.  Worked great.    Since it was in Texas there is a good chance they were mojados.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sturdley said:

Squirrels have been chewing our outdoor cushions.  This has even happened during the daytime.  I am wondering if something could be sprayed on the cushions to prevent this.  Any suggestions?

You're not far off a home made solution. Here is just one group of solutions. One key is not to use the same solution over and over. 

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/make-homemade-squirrel-repellent

There are other solutions.

we have the same problem and leave a light on at night. Having a terrier helps too

Check and see if you can buy a squirrel live trap in the area if not one can be ordered through Amazon.  They cost around $40US.  Bait with a little corn and now you can have squirrel stew, Ha  or you can remove a safe distance from your house or I am sure your gardener will be glad to remove.  Trap can later be sold or available to loan to friends who have same problem.  I had your same problem with a squirrel, don't know what they like about the cushions.  Remember though they are relatives to rats.   

Unless you have seen them, and identified them as squirrels, they may actually be rats. Dont be surprised, as they outnumber squirrels in the area.

Mothballs.  They also work in a small zip lock baggie with holes in it to put on the sides of the car engine.  Keeps out all vermin's.  They will evaporate and need to be replaced every so often.

32 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Mothballs.  They also work in a small zip lock baggie with holes in it to put on the sides of the car engine.  Keeps out all vermin's.  They will evaporate and need to be replaced every so often.

The problem with mothballs in your car engines compartment is the smell!  It comes in through your air vents and can be quite sickening!

The moth ball smell is not harmful in the concentration that is suggested above..Plus it will remind you of your grandparents stowage closets..LOL

• Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, rafterbr said:

Check and see if you can buy a squirrel live trap in the area if not one can be ordered through Amazon.  They cost around $40US.  Bait with a little corn and now you can have squirrel stew, Ha  or you can remove a safe distance from your house or I am sure your gardener will be glad to remove.  Trap can later be sold or available to loan to friends who have same problem.  I had your same problem with a squirrel, don't know what they like about the cushions.  Remember though they are relatives to rats.   

Our squirrels are way too smart to go into these traps no matter how tempting the bait is..

I found this video when looking what other people do to control them.

Watch the squirrel on the fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNltR4iCRCA

Our Mexican squirrels have different look than the ones we have on the V. Island.

I had these same issues. My outdoor furniture got ripped to shreds by the squirrels.  I replaced the fabric maybe once and then said, something needs to change.  The change I made was to get an outdoor cat.  Absolutely the best idea yet.  As of two years now, no cushion damage and I have a loving cat to great me at the door in the morning.  

Patient: Doctor! It hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

A radical idea, I know, but maybe take the cushions inside when you're not using them?

Next up: Why Rocket Science isn't for everyone.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Islander said:

Our squirrels are way too smart to go into these traps no matter how tempting the bait is..

I found this video when looking what other people do to control them.

Watch the squirrel on the fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNltR4iCRCA

There are lots of videos on youtube showing how smart they are.

Our Mexican squirrels are different than the ones we have on the V. Island.

You mean Mexican squirrels are smarter than gringo ones?  To trap them you get the trap and place some corn in a jar lid and place aways from the trap so they can get use to seeing the trap.  Once the bait is gone you put more corn in the lid and place near the trap.  Once this is gone you place the lid with corn inside the trap on other side of trigger so they have to hit it when they go for the corn.  Works, now you can have squirrel gravey.  je, je

24 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Works,now you can have squirrel gravey.  je, je

and squirrel stew, drop biscuits, grits, sweeten tea...

Mothballs freshly put in the engine compartment only smells for two or three days and then it just goes away. 

On 2/12/2019 at 12:05 PM, Sturdley said:

Rat poison will work here. Like rats they can't regurgitate it when it messes with their tummy while cogs and cats and humans can.

I live at the top of the hill in Ajijic with woods above the house. I never have had a squirrel problem and didn't understand why. The answer is simple, my 3 cats have a very small cat door that allow them to go outdoors, which they apparently do every night. In the daytime they are usually asleep in the house.

I discovered the type of the birds and small animals they kill, because often they bring the corpses in and leave them in the house to munch on. Sadly I haven't figured away to keep the small bloody &  icky corpses of the house.

26 minutes ago, johanson said:

I discovered the type of the birds and small animals they kill, because often they bring the corpses in and leave them in the house to munch on. 

They are showing their appreciation to you.  😀

• Haha 1