Chapala.com Webboard

Flying To China Via LAX

It has been many moons since I have flown and what I seem to read is disturbing. Maybe someone knows different. I will be leaving GDL with a change of planes in LAX. What I read is that all international arrivals must clear US customs and immigration even if they are continuing on another international outbound flight. Do they no longer have "sterile" areas for international transfers? I can see why many do what they can to avoid US connections if that is the case.

When flying to the US connecting with another international flight you must clear customs with either Global Entry, Mobile Passport or the other line. You are able to take the transit exit instead of heading down to baggage claim as your bags are checked to your final destination. No reclaim is necessary in the US so long as your next flight does not arrive in another US city.

Dallas forces you outside security in what they call no luggage/transit. Can't speak to other airports. Many international airports have transit lanes that send you right to your next gate without involving customs or security. Too bad that's not the case in the US.

You must 1st clear immigration then claim you checked luggage and then clear customs,  then recheck your bags just beyond customs and proceed to your new departure gate which may require you to depart your arrival terminal and take a bus to another terminal..PIA.. Stop and ask as you proceed thru the terminal where the new terminal is located and ask if is walkable..You better have at least a2 hour layover and 3 to feel comfortable..YMMV..Good luck..

Good news: LAX has a new terminal TBIT, Tom Brady International Terminal, that is sterile. Both my incoming and outgoing flights are in that terminal and that will not require me to get my bags or enter the US (Yeah!). I would also have a chance to eat at P.F. Chang's in that terminal, having never seen one before, but that would be quite silly on my way to China.

1 hour ago, desafinada said:

We flew in with Volaris and out with Singapore in May.  Both used the International terminal.  We still had to clear customs and immigration.  There was no cost incurred, just time.

An absolute bummer. I can not find anyone that says otherwise. Had I known before buying the tickets, I would have gone to Uruguay.

The transfer may be no cost for you but not a Mexican.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

An absolute bummer. I can not find anyone that says otherwise. Had I known before buying the tickets, I would have gone to Uruguay.

The transfer may be no cost for you but not a Mexican.

Is it only me that is confused by this discussion and where it is leading too...he said she said...please what is the point  of this discussion  :015::rolleyes::015:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I seem to remember that I always have to go through customs and immigration  when I have to go through the States for that reason I do not fly through there.. who needs that??

Yes I have not seen one of the transit lounge lately, I have to go through immigration and customs last tme I flew KLM from Paris to Mexico with a stop in Amsterdam.. that was another pain..

On 2/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Good news: LAX has a new terminal TBIT, Tom Brady International Terminal, that is sterile. Both my incoming and outgoing flights are in that terminal and that will not require me to get my bags or enter the US (Yeah!). I would also have a chance to eat at P.F. Chang's in that terminal, having never seen one before, but that would be quite silly on my way to China.

There is a P.F.Changs in Guadalajara in the Andares mall

Every passenger arriving at a US airport from any other country in the world must present documents to CBP upon arrival. They have to make sure you have the legal right to enter the US. If you are connecting to a flight that will land in another US city you have to pick up and re-check luggage. If your connecting flight departs to a non-US city you are transit and can skip baggage pickup. Even through many airports have international terminals not all flights departing from them are heading out of the country. DFW has a transit shortcut that bypasses going to the luggage claim area but it still dumps you outside of security. Don't know if that's the case at LAX.

Many if not all major European and Asian cities do not require you to present a passport if you are heading to another country on your connecting flight. Just did that in Hong Kong while heading to Singapore and São Paulo going to Buenos Aires.

When going to Ecuador I flew from GDL to DFW to MIA to Quito. Even though the destination was Ecuador I had to pick up and re-check luggage in DFW due to the MIA flight.

• 1 month later...