Chapala.com Webboard

Mario's in San Antonio

tomgates

Been ages since we dined there. Did so yesterday and fantastic. Whole red snapper on charcoal grill. Bierria with brisket and short rib were 2 specials. Added bonus on weekends is his son Eric in the kitchen. Some will recall this talented chef at No. 4 then Avocado Club. 

Go to the San Antonio Tlyacapan plaza and turn right at the southwest corner of the plaza. Mario's is on the right, not far from the corner. You may find it easier to park where you can, and walk to the restaurant.

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

Been ages since we dined there. Did so yesterday and fantastic. Whole red snapper on charcoal grill. Bierria with brisket and short rib were 2 specials. Added bonus on weekends is his son Eric in the kitchen. Some will recall this talented chef at No. 4 then Avocado Club. 

Some will even remember where Eric was the chef after he worked at No. 4: nine years ago, at the Hole in One.  Is the driving range still there?
 https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/10/starring-at-the-hole-in-one-lake-chapala-jalisco-chef-eric-enciso-cárdenas.html

8 hours ago, tomgates said:

That's right, Hole in One, not Avocado Club. It is closed now. 

One in the same. Poncho's grand failed experiment. Just came from Lety's, his fathers seafood place just up the street from me in San Antonio. Had the salmon special with a wonderful corn cream sauce. Amazing! What is the name of the owner, the short guy with the big middle, handlebar mustache and flowing white hair? He looks and sounds exactly like The General, the animated character in the TV spots with Shack for the insurance company of the same name. He is always sitting at the front door to personally greet you. As I was leaving today I said "Nunca, nunca una mala comida aquí". He smiled and thanked me.  I well remember the primitive tarp roofed basic structure where he squatted on the federal land for years opposite the Coca Cola plant in San Antonio before they finally were able to evict him. 

Now back to Mario's, even closer to me (10 minute walk), don't get me started. At least once a week, and again never a bad meal and Jamie y Jamie (father and son wait staff) have become friends. Please do not heap on the praise too much since the Tapatios have already discovered it and I need to get a seat in the patio on weekends.  

17 hours ago, gringal said:

Never been there.  What's the location, please?

I used to go to Mario's for comida about once a week, always with the same friend(s).  The food was consistently delicious, the service was always great.  And the big molcajete of salsa--wow, just the right degree of heat (smoke-coming-out-of-my ears) for me.  Breakfasts were super, too!  Please go and tell me it's the same high quality as it was!  

6 hours ago, More Liana said:

I used to go to Mario's for comida about once a week, always with the same friend(s).  The food was consistently delicious, the service was always great.  And the big molcajete of salsa--wow, just the right degree of heat (smoke-coming-out-of-my ears) for me.  Breakfasts were super, too!  Please go and tell me it's the same high quality as it was!  

Just the same as ever. Jaime now owns it as Mario and Maria have retired. He bought it and two sons, a daughter and his wife work there. They have made many improvements since he took over, one of which is being open later. I had been pushing for that for some time as I love to go there for dinner. They now have great specials on the week-end,  running a grill in the street. The Mahi Mahi is great. I have introduced many to this restaurant over the years and not one has been disappointed. Oh, btw, the menu has been kept pretty much the same, one can always be assured their favorite is still available.

2 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Just the same as ever. Jaime now owns it as Mario and Maria have retired. He bought it and two sons, a daughter and his wife work there. They have made many improvements since he took over, one of which is being open later. I had been pushing for that for some time as I love to go there for dinner. They now have great specials on the week-end,  running a grill in the street. The Mahi Mahi is great. I have introduced many to this restaurant over the years and not one has been disappointed. Oh, btw, the menu has been kept pretty much the same, one can always be assured their favorite is still available.

*sigh*  I miss it.  One of these days I'll get back there and go again.

Archived