Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Bank account

VC1180

I'd like to open a US bank account Which one is best in terms of of minimum balance, Online banking etc..

If you can answer that question then maybe someone here will be able to answer your question.

Banks are like pizza places one person's heaven is another person's hell.

I would suggest you visit the websites of banks that branches here to compare types of accounts and costs. 

If you served in the US military, or are the spouse or child of a member, you may qualify for USAA membership.  They are excellent & know how to handle overseas business for military and/or expats.  I have been with them since 1959, and have never needed another bank.

A couple of things you might check:

Do they allow you to deposit a US dollar check into your account and how much do they charge.   A few years I had to drop my Banamex checking account/Debit card because they would no longer let me deposit my US check and this is how I get pesos into my account.  I also have my social security deposited into the account but I cannot live on that alone.

I also discovered that not all bank Debit cards are equal.  The Intercam Debit card, for example, cannot be used for charges on the computer, eg. purchases with Mercado Libre,  payment of Paypal, payment of Skype........

Archived