Chapala.com Webboard

Insurance requirement

Jreboll

You can buy at the border or on line. We used Lewis and Lewis... Make sure you get the "get out of jail" endorsement... You might inquire about increasing the limits as the normal policy is not much if there is an injury...

You must have Mexican Insurance, which you can get in advance or at the border.  Suspend your NOB insurance for the time you are down here.   We suspend ours and then contact our NOB agent to reinstate it for the day we cross back over.  Mexican insurance is less than our NOB insurance

We get our Mexican insurance through Jesus Tejeda, who comes recommended on this board, but we've never had a claim, so can't confirm how effective he is if you really need him.  

You have to have proof of Mexican insurance in order to get the "temporary import"  sticker (TIP)  that you place on your car at the border.  You can get this in advance as well by going to the appropriate website, or at the border.  You pay a substantial deposit for this sticker, but the money is returned to you when you stop and have it removed at the border on your way back north.  

In 10 years of driving crossing at Columbia (Texas) have never been asked for auto insurance. I have always used Parker Insurance broker.. Getting it at the border is usually more expensive.  If you call or email Parker Insurance they will email you the insurance documents. Make sure you have the original documentation for the vehicle not photo copies... . The TIP deposit is $400 US or less, I believe it's based on the year of the vehicle. 

2 hours ago, stuphel said:

You have to have proof of Mexican insurance in order to get the "temporary import"  sticker (TIP)  that you place on your car at the border.

Like PJPJ said, I too have never been asked for insurance. Only a fool or a sovereign citizen drive without it.

Archived