Chapala.com Webboard

Voted #1 place to RETIRE in MEXICO: LAKE Chapala ๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŒฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฝ

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Mudgirl's post, because it explains everything quite well.ย  She has also emphasized the key need: Learn to conjugate the verbs! It is not too difficult at all, and without using a verb, you cannot form a sentence.ย  Once you get the pattern of er, ar, and ir verbs, the rest is much easier. Yes, '501 Spanish Verbs' is an absolute necessity, along with a good (not pocket) Spanish-English Dictionary.ย  "Dale gas".

Yes I am in snowy Seattle. I was hoping to experience it one more time (I had not been in any for maybe 20 years)ย  And I loved it for the first two days. Now I am wishing it would go away. Luckily there is a major grocery store 4 blocks away and I was able to make the drive going slowly with no problem. Some areas have 4 to 12 inches. Luckily, in downtown Seattle, we might have had as much as 3 inches but the main roads are free and clear..

The picture above is of a steep hill where the street has been closed and no attempt was made to clear it. The only serious problem we have are those drivers who do not understand how to drive in snow. We have two extremes, those who drive as if there were no snow, and that very occasional driver who only goes about 3 miles per hour.

But it will be gone in a few days in time to make the taxi ride to the airport without a problem (I hope).

Many of us simply cannot hear well enough to understand the usually softly and rapidly spoken Spanish.ย  My hearing is so poor I use English subtitles when watching TV.ย  I can speak and read decently but cannot hear well enough to understand much.ย  That's just the way it is and it is no fun to have hearing so poor that hearing aids really don't help much.ย  It's not a question of willingness to learn as some imply, it is simply a problem of old age.

ย 

Mainecoons, I know that you are very hard of hearing. But you would never know it interacting with you. I presume you lipread to makeup your hearing shortfalls.ย  What ever you do , you do a very good job of it.

More power to you. :D

Hard of hearing? Just get close to the speaker, English or Spanish, and look at and speak toย them directly. If you haveย a sufficient vocabulary in Spanish there shouldnยดt be any problem as Spanish pronunciation is much more rule regulated than English in relationship to spelling.ย  Usually not comprehending means that a few words are the villains to get the meaning of the spoken dialogue.

Improve your vocabulary and you will be surprised at how much your hearing improves.

Adviceย from someone whose A/K/A is "El Sordo", even with the aidsโ€ฆ...LOL

Forgot to add that my other A/K/A is "El Viejito", so thatยดs no excuse either.

Archived