Chapala.com Webboard

Voted #1 place to RETIRE in MEXICO: LAKE Chapala 😍🌮🇲🇽

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mrs. Rupert said:

That is not the answer I was looking for.  Who controlled the survey, and who were the participants?  Where was this survey taken? 

Why not watch the video and see what the claimants say?

JD Powers is not a company that specializes in retirement satisfaction.  Who did they interview and where?  Millions of places to retire- what makes this place so special-  because JD Power and Associates says this is the best place to retire?  Many people would disagree.  It is such a general statement- 'Best Place To Retire'.  There is no best place to retire.  It is all relative.  And what comparisons did they use- the entire world's retirement havens and questionnaires handed out to everybody that has retired?  Silly and not possible..  There are many better places to retire.  All you need is money.  Say what you will...........

14 hours ago, Jreboll said:

Sorry, I was just being cynical about the whole thing. J.D. Powers will say anything that will appeal to its target audience.  Scientific polling not required.

Any polling is not required.

19 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Yep, that way only the dull and/or ethnocentric will arrive.  I figure if you can't learn a second language your first must be wanting badly.  The last thing I want for myself is to talk bad english.

I'm sorry, but that is, at the same time, ignorant, judgmental and just plain wrong. Also mostly irrelevant to the subject under discussion.

We also touched another subject here. Why is it that we Americans (United Statesians) almost never learn a second language which in this case is Mexican Spanish? (While most Europeans do) I guess the answer is that we don't have to speak Spanish along the shores of Northern Lake Chapala, because almost every local who wants to do business with us learns English.

I guess the fact that most locals also speak English, helps make this area one of the best places to retire.

Good  point.  I am not good with languages but I am also married to a Mexican woman so I feel no over powering need to learn the language as she is generally always with me.  When not with me I find a lot of the North Shore Mexicans speak English.  She is starting to scold me so I guess I will try a little harder to learn survival Spanish. 

The lack of interest in learning at least the basics of the primary language of the country you are living in really has nothing to do with the fact that many Mexicans in the area speak English, or that one may be married to a Mexican who translates everything for them. To me, it has to do with a lack of curiosity concerning what is going on around you, how and what the locals think, a lack of respect for the fact that you've been allowed to stay and live in a country not your own, and a certain type of self-absorption, where nothing outside one's own little realm is worth knowing about.

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The lack of interest in learning at least the basics of the primary language of the country you are living in really has nothing to do with the fact that many Mexicans in the area speak English, or that one may be married to a Mexican who translates everything for them. To me, it has to do with a lack of curiosity concerning what is going on around you, how and what the locals think, a lack of respect for the fact that you've been allowed to stay and live in a country not your own, and a certain type of self-absorption, where nothing outside one's own little realm is worth knowing about.

You've just passed a rather harsh judgment without considering all the factors involved.  As people get older, it is well known that their ability to learn languages decreases.  It is much easier for a child to learn a new language than it is for a person over seventy.  Loss of hearing ability is a prime reason for poor comprehension as well.  Hearing aids do not do the job nearly as well as well functioning ears.  So........give the non-Spanish speaking expats the benefit of the doubt.  I know people who have taken Spanish classes several times over and still struggle with basic communication.

I agree gringal, I consider myself fluent but as I age I seem to forget more and have to hesitate more and como se dice. I live in Jocotepec which without some command of the language it could be tough. I am a newbe here 19 years and have my citizenship  but, I have met Doctors and Lawyers and such which cannot learn and find blue collar people which become quiet fluent. So I guess my point it is not how much education you have.

The USA 'anglo' refuasl to learn a second language is rather embarassing. Even in Texas, and other border states, almost all Hispanics are fully bilingual, while very few 'anglos' are.  There is no excuse for that.  The average person on this planet can manage in three languages. I once met a five year old boy who was fluent in five languages, and knew a delightful older gentleman, who spoke 13, but knew no English.  I still am not fluent, but can manage in three or four, and am still learning.  Yes, declining vision and hearing make it more dificult, but it is still not all that difficult.  Reading helps a lot, as does Duolingo.com, and both are free. Your local neighbors and merchants will like you a lot better, if you try.  Go for it!

Archived