Chapala.com Webboard

Kudos to Solar Technology

diandbeau

@El Cartero    The replacement panel does not need to be the exact same one you have, just reasonably compatible on cells / voltage and of the same or higher wattage.    In a string (central) inverter setup, all panels work to the lowest common denominator, so adding a 270 watt panel into a 250 watt string of panels is generally OK, >>  the new one will function as a 250 would.

@Ferret   You are correct, with the understanding that your micros have a certain max wattage rating; you'll likely have more flexibility than El Cartero, within limits.     Also, if one panel goes out in a micro system, all the others keep operating, while in a string setup, one panel being out takes out the whole string connected with it.      So you have that advantage as well, plus each panel in micro systems is individually optimized, for very high efficiency.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the confirmation. I already had one microinverter bite the dust and it was replaced no charge. I would highly recommend getting a system that you can monitor online. IF I hadn't been able to see that the one panel wasn't working, I would have been limited to wondering why my production had gone down. What the computer couldn't tell me was whether it was the panel itself or the microinverter that was the problem.

Also, Go Solar could you address Intercasa's comment about "brownouts" on page 1 of this thread. I don't understand the comment.

And, is there such a thing as "preventive maintenance" for solar systems? Obviously I keep them clean but otherwise?

26 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Thanks for the confirmation. I already had one microinverter bite the dust and it was replaced no charge. I would highly recommend getting a system that you can monitor online. IF I hadn't been able to see that the one panel wasn't working, I would have been limited to wondering why my production had gone down. What the computer couldn't tell me was whether it was the panel itself or the microinverter that was the problem.

Also, Go Solar could you address Intercasa's comment about "brownouts" on page 1 of this thread. I don't understand the comment.

And, is there such a thing as "preventive maintenance" for solar systems? Obviously I keep them clean but otherwise?

Ferret, we have started to do preventive maintenance with Solar Technology...I think they recommend every six months but Ron Magen of STI could advise you. They check connections and a variety of other things that could affect your output...beyond our monthly cleaning of the panels we do ourselves. Well, the royal"we," as in our handyman climbs the roof and I do the prodding.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

"regular" grid-tied systems work to match the CFE grid power and reduce or eliminate net use from CFE, however they won't produce during power outages or if the voltage or frequency go outside the range they are designed to operate in.      Offgrid and newer hybrid systems will function and / or take over automatically in an outage from CFE, and these are becoming more accessible with a wider range of choices both in inverter and battery / energy storage technology.      

PM for solar:    Beyond panel cleaning, every couple of years it is a good idea to have either a system check or a full PM service, to check the structural support condition and roof connections, the panel condition, individual output and (if applicable) string output, the clamps and junction boxes, the electrical connections, wire ties, and if there is a central inverter vs micro-inverters, to open, clean, test and check the internal wiring and connections in the inverter.     It is inexpensive and can sometimes find things that may then be covered under the warranty..... which should improve performance and likely offset the cost of the service visit too.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, El Cartero said:

Go Solar, thanks.   Are the old 60 cells, which I believe I have, readily available anymore?

Some supply is available, feel free to email or PM with your details.