Chapala.com Webboard

Dr with best x-ray machine (chest/pneumonia)????

kimanjome

Went back over the old posts and it seems time for an update.  Does Maskaras now have a digital xray machine?  Or would the significantly cheaper Ajijic Clinic/Hospital have what I need?  How about Chapala Med or Quality Care?

I have a case of bronchitis  that has been going on for 7 weeks now and has not responded to antibiotics. Every day I wake up thinking today is the day I will feel better. Ha.  I need a doctor AND a chest x-ray done. Suggestions?

Have they taken a culture of the mucus you cough up? That can tell a lot. Hopefully it is not Klebsiella Pneumonia, as that can be very hard to treat (like 21 days of levofloxacin ) and cross your fingers that it works !

Good luck !.

Kimanjome,

I got that bronchitis from Ajijic and it is awful.. I got sick with it the minute I arrived in Chiapas.. I got t for 2 weeks and  went to see the doctor next door to my house he prescribed severin one pill every 12 hours and Rezplen a one pill every 12  hours and I started feeling better after the second day , I continued for the 5 days and the cough went away. I was tired but the awful cough quit. Then my husband got the same thing but even worse, I thought he was not gong t make it.. I took him next door, he got the same prescription and his cough got better by the second day as well. The Rezplen is an antibiotic so you need a prescription but it really worked well for both of us I thought my husband had pneumonia, it was awful but with that treatment it is now under control..

When I left Ajijic I knew several people with that nasty bronchitis, One person told me they had it for 6 weeks and she received a bunch of shots of antibiotics and she had to have a second set of shots, it was so bad..

Thank you all, I am hoping it isn't pneumonia. I don't have much of a fever.  It's the fatigue that is getting to me, and the tail end of a cough that just will not give up. I was on 7 days of Keflex and expectorants, and I have reached a plateau. The cough is so bad that my back and ribs hurt. Will see about the Rezplen, hope I don't need the Levo.

7 hours ago, bmh said:

Kimanjome,

I got that bronchitis from Ajijic and it is awful.. I got sick with it the minute I arrived in Chiapas.. I got t for 2 weeks ...

When I left Ajijic I knew several people with that nasty bronchitis, One person told me they had it for 6 weeks and she received a bunch of shots of antibiotics and she had to have a second set of shots, it was so bad..

Just to note in the spirit of Public Health that during my two visits Lakeside around this time of year, in both cases I developed the deepest, most persistent and unique cyclic cough I've ever experienced (with the possible exception of one winter in West Bengal in the '70s).  It turned me into a fountain of phlegm and with my primitive Spanish put me in a situation where I sometimes didn't know how to beg off shaking hands with friendly locals.  It occurred to me that this might be a unique allergy to something Lakeside, or due to air travel from California.  For me, this is a serious issue to be resolved.

Ajijic seems to be a hotbed of mystery flu and bronchial ailments.  I suspect it's due to the annual influx of visitors who may be carrying bugs for which we long term residents have not developed immunity.  Both my husband and I were miserably sick with a bronchial "something" this year.

I was vaccinated this year but I still got that nasty bronchitis and fever , pretty sure from Ajijic and it is nasty ...Hopefully it is not pneumonia ..Yes the toss is awful and hurts your ribs and the fatigue does not seem to to go away.. it is awful. My husband got it worse than I did  and his cough was really scary.. Good luck to you.

3 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Thanks, Alpha1, good to know when/if in Guadalajara.

Returned from Maskaras, 1 chest x-ray (Siemens digital machine) and office visit combined, 700 pesos, fair price, I think. Pneumonia.

BTW was told the new San Antonio hospital to open in April, so let's call it May. 

Get a sputum culture so you know which antibiotic will work against it and do not have to guess.

Archived