Chapala.com Webboard

How to Pay CFE during travel absences

I  need a method to pay my CFE bills during my regular travel absences

In past I have relied on unreliable but well meaning help(gardener/maid/nextdoo neighbor who was often traveling)

I have also used a management company whose charges for this one task were extravagant...though the 6 annual bills

were paid. 

I do not have a Mexican bank account nor debit/credit card to use.  And CFE onsite payments will NOT accept

out of country bank cards  backed by AmEx, Visa, etc.

Hoping someone can advise me 🙂

Thanks

2 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Angus is spot on--I asked at CFE about this, and I was told to pay cash in advance, it will be held in your account and your statements will deduct from the credit balance every 2 months.

Yup, you know what your bill is every 2 months, pay it and they will take care of the rest cause you will be running a credit. 

Go to the CFE office in Chapala with a fistfull of $500 peso notes and your CFE bill..Scan your CFE bill and start feeding peso/s until you have what you calculate is needed for your absence..then add another 500-1000 extra...I do it for the year..has worked for 20+ years without any issues..

• 1 month later...

Xoom (a division of PayPal) now allows for payment of CFE bills using your PayPal account.  Not cheap (I think 5 bucks fee plus a poor exchange rate) but a last ditch resource if you find yourself outside of area and get a CFE bill with no money on the account to pay.  Better than having power cut off :rolleyes:

On 2/5/2019 at 7:51 PM, Apachewoman said:

I  need a method to pay my CFE bills during my regular travel absences

In past I have relied on unreliable but well meaning help(gardener/maid/nextdoo neighbor who was often traveling)

I have also used a management company whose charges for this one task were extravagant...though the 6 annual bills

were paid. 

I do not have a Mexican bank account nor debit/credit card to use.  And CFE onsite payments will NOT accept

out of country bank cards  backed by AmEx, Visa, etc.

Hoping someone can advise me 🙂

Thanks

yes, for years we had to return to the states, one time for 5 months.  just go to the machine pay with cash and each 2 months it will take the credited money from the surplus.  It worked perfect and no problems.  You can also look online from canada or the states to monitor it.

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

Install and use the CFEContigo app and pay from there. You can view your bill and pay with a card quickly and easily. 

Lots more people have computer access when they travel, hotel, public library and computer stalls or shops than have smart phones. It is archaic and backwards not to have the ability to pay online through an internet portal. You can count ATTmx along with CFE and Simapa. These so called businesses should be ashamed. I bet you would find that all of them pay their bills online by e-check or transfer to their suppliers.

20 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

And anyone who uses a public computer for ANYTHING that requires logging in or a password is a fool!

You got that right. For my July Asian trip I bought a Windows tablet for its portability and security while there, my laptop is too old and heavy to tote around.

Archived