Chapala.com Webboard

Latest population boom going bust?

kgreenbury

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of information there, but what shocked me most is this:

The new mayor changed the charter in October 2018 whereby municipal officials and delegates are no longer elected, but appointed by the mayor.

The article also references another "viral video" which can be found here: https://america.cgtn.com/2019/01/27/robberies-on-the-rise-in-lake-chapala-a-community-in-mexico-popular-with-expats

3 minutes ago, koshiboy said:

Lots of information there, but what shocked me most is this:

The article also references another "viral video" which can be found here: https://america.cgtn.com/2019/01/27/robberies-on-the-rise-in-lake-chapala-a-community-in-mexico-popular-with-expats

Why make it hard?

That video is also poorly researched and sensationalized.  For example it claims 50,000 expats here but the actual number is in the twenties during high tourist season and according to the reports I've seen the full time expat population is in the low tens.

IMHO the biggest issues we have here are being loved to death by the Tapatios and the heretofore seriously bad and corrupt local government.  The bidding is still out on that last one as to whether there will be real change or just better PR.

Saw another report there are one million more cars in GDL than there were 10 years ago.  I suspect that accounts for most of the horrendous traffic we have here now on the weekends and holidays.  Coming back from Riberas last night the cars headed to GDL were backed up all the way from Walmart back to Plaza Bugambillias.

Unfortunately, the problems of population growth and the attendant problems of poor development, environmental impact and increased crime are common to all of the more desirable places as a result of the boom in tourism and retirement.  Until the baby boom demographic from the U.S. Canada and Europe passes this mega trend is just going to continue.  For example there are similar reports of these problems in the retirement/tourist hot spots around the Mediterranean.

Who knows if the robberies are up, they come and go. There was plenty of them several years ago when just every house on the street we live  on was robbed... The newbies are making lots of noise about it now but I do not feel more  in danger now than when the 18 were kidnapped and killed..

Realistically folks I do not think we are getting  any where near our share of the "10,000 baby boomers " who are retiring 

For what ever the reason our area/country has lost its apeal period, and will continue so because of the overstretched infrastructure etc...maybe ok for Tapitios and New Age hippies......but not " normal"  NOB refugees

I've been thinking about this a lot, as a younger baby boomer from the US.  Where are these millions and millions of boomers going to retire? 90% of them haven't saved enough money to continue to live a decent retirement lifestyle in the US, and how the heck are they going to pay for in home care, or even a maid to help them clean their homes when they are feeble?  And what about when they can no longer drive?  The US isn't cheap! I have no idea how or they will end up. Any ideas? Double wide trailers in rural Arkansas?

11 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Realistically folks I do not think we are getting  any where near our share of the "10,000 baby boomers " who are retiring 

For what ever the reason our area/country has lost its apeal period, and will continue so because of the overstretched infrastructure etc...maybe ok for Tapitios and New Age hippies......but not " normal"  NOB refugees

So why is there a local real estate boom and finding rentals has become difficult and expensive?

9 hours ago, kimanjome said:

I've been thinking about this a lot, as a younger baby boomer from the US.  Where are these millions and millions of boomers going to retire? 90% of them haven't saved enough money to continue to live a decent retirement lifestyle in the US, and how the heck are they going to pay for in home care, or even a maid to help them clean their homes when they are feeble?  And what about when they can no longer drive?  The US isn't cheap! I have no idea how or they will end up. Any ideas? Double wide trailers in rural Arkansas?

Maybe a single wide in Quartsite.  Really: there is such a place and it's pretty grim.

I've wondered the same thing.  Back in the la-la days of the late eighties and nineties, we lived and worked in CA, where most people we met were up to their hairlines in credit card debt; leased cars they couldn't think of owning, put 5% down on houses they couldn't afford and basically lived pretend lives as though they were far better off than they were.  We lived "beneath our means", drove paid-for modest cars and paid our Visa balances off every month. When it was time to retire, we could afford to.  Even so, the cost of living (even having lunch and a movie out) in a place like CA made us think of moving elsewhere, and my husband had spent many vacation times  in Mexico in his earlier years.  He appreciated the culture and the attitude. It looked like a good place to check out first. That was 15 years ago.  I often wonder what happened to the high living people we used to know.  😎

33 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

So why is there a local real estate boom and finding rentals has become difficult and expensive?

Yes the real estate business has improved these past couple of years but i would suggest there has not been a significant gain, most newbies replacing folks returning to NOB

Whilst there was a rental shortage at the start of the season there are now many places  being advertised on Facebook etc

There are a lot of overcrowded cities in the US. Austin, TX and Seattle, WA come to mind. If you want proximity to cultural, shopping, etc, you have to put up with it. If you don't want to, there are lots of places that are uncrowded. Think Kansas, Montana and South Dakota in the US. Think southside of the lake here. 

13 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

This is not true at all. Last year, and this year, are the most popular years for gringos here ever. Honestly, don't know how this could escape anyone unless they rarely escape from their gated neighborhoods. Also, refugees? Use that word here to describe a gringo and Mexicans won't take you seriously.

Of course it's relative. But I live here, not up north. I don't compare. My income is in pesos. For me it's not a question of "what it is" somewhere else. I don't care what a dascha costs in Russia, or an igloo at the pole, or the price of a hamburger at "The Works" back home. The prices are "relative" to here, nowhere else.

29 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Of course it's relative. But I live here, not up north. I don't compare. My income is in pesos. For me it's not a question of "what it is" somewhere else. I don't care what a dascha costs in Russia, or an igloo at the pole, or the price of a hamburger at "The Works" back home. The prices are "relative" to here, nowhere else.

You're no fun. HAHAHA. JK

Don't you know we have to solve all world problems.  HAHAHA

Archived