Chapala.com Webboard

Spago’s open

sm1mex

They did train, for quite a long time. There were several reasons for the delayed opening (death in the family being one), and training. Obviously, it didn't take. But there is no good reason to offer inconsistent food, ever. It's a restaurant.

6 hours ago, Travis said:

Not sure, but shouldn't the second cup costs twice as much as the first?

So are you suggesting, if the first cup is 25 pesos, the second is plus 50 pesos for a total of 75 pesos for 2 cups!!!...... or 2 cups for 50 pesos...at this rate the coffee becomes more expensive than the meal

=sigh= What I'm asking is, are there people who won't go to a restaurant that doesn't refill your coffee cup "gratis"? I can see this in breakfast restaurants, where that's part of the attraction, especially chains like Denny's... but it wouldn't matter much to me in a restaurant of this type.

Really good dinner there tonight. Caesar salad with shaved Parmesan and instead of croutons there were 3 arancini . Pork porchetta with shaved carrots and roasted potatoes and enough pan drippings. Tiramisu for dessert was over the top. Bravo!

Four of us went for dinner this past Saturday and thought the food was better than OK but that the service was terrible. The servers were young, clean cut and friendly but we all had the impression that this was their first job of any kind. I spoke with the front side supervisor whom I knew from his previous position at another restaurant. He told me that they were totally overwhelmed by the mumber of customers coming. He added that  they were planning on reducing the choices on the menu, expanding the kitchen and adding both kitchen staff and servers. The physical plant is nice and I wish them well, out they definitely have work to do. We will not try it again for dinner for several weeks. Breakfast and lunch may be fine. 

Just a general comment. I don't understand why restaurants think they have to offer so many choices. Do they think they are going to attract more customers? I prefer less items done very well prepared instead of more choices done so so. JMO

As a restaurant owner, I never understood why some restaurants had extensive menus.  Your cost for inventory and spoilage was much higher.  You also have a much larger grill and fryer space requirement as you cannot cook many things close together as to get crossover tastes.  In Oklahoma you must have hamburgers and chicken fried steak and build on that.  One restaurant was a mennonite restaurant but still had hamburgers and chicken fried steak.

I had breakfast at Spago's yesterday just as they opened...both of us had the waffle and while it wasn't "Belgian" style as listed on the menu, it was tasty.  My friend had a sunny side up egg on hers and it was perfect.  Service was great and the good coffee refills kept coming.

• 1 month later...

Three of us finally tried Spago's for lunch. 

The menus arrived:  the fine print under the title of the dishes nearly needs a magnifying glass to read it. Why?

The iced tea was PRE-SUGARED when the batch was made. No cure.

We  tried going inside first, where it's quieter, but the  barely padded, straight backed chairs were so uncomfortable that we went back outside. Those are a little better.

My husband ordered eggs "over medium" with steak "medium".  The waiter left, then came back again and asked what the order was. The dish arrived with "slowly overcooked" steak and very underdone sunny side up eggs.

My friend ordered a spaghetti dish and I ordered manicotti.  Both were utterly tasteless.

The prices are about average for the area.

We won't be back.  Too bad.  We figured by now they'd have it together.  They need to start by getting a decent cook who can read an order and follow it.

I had the all time worst eggs Benedict there, the English muffin must have been stale, so it was soaked in some liquid, not hollandase, the ham was slice so thin it was hardly there ,the eggs were over cooked hard, the hollandase was acceptable, the potatoes were cold and dry, this was my third and last time going there...

Sorry to hear that. A group of us go there for breakfast and find that poco a poco the service and quality of the food is getting better and better. And the steak and eggs I had, tasted pretty good. Trouble was the steak was small and very very thin. :) 

Archived