Chapala.com Webboard

Spago’s open

sm1mex

Went by and took a look at the menu after I went to the gym today.  Definitely on the higher end but not the most expensive.  Very nice redo of the dining room.  I'm a bit skeptical they can fix everything well on the quite large menu.  Looking forward to seeing your reviews.

I sure do miss the large group that would meet at Salvador's for breakfast. I wonder if Spago's is also planning to open before 8 AM with reasonable priced breakfasts. I sure hope so, say I from up here in Seattle for a few more days.

We went for breakfast, potatoes over cook, dry and no seasoning, the worst eggs Benedict I have ever had the sauce was strange, eggs and ham over cooked, I complained about over cook eggs, the waiter said that is the way they make them.  Won’t be going back there till they get their act together..

16 minutes ago, artsnob said:

We went for breakfast, potatoes over cook, dry and no seasoning, the worst eggs Benedict I have ever had the sauce was strange, eggs and ham over cooked, I complained about over cook eggs, the waiter said that is the way they make them.  Won’t be going back there till they get their act together..

How do you overcook potatoes??

12 hours ago, artsnob said:

Salvador's didn't overcook the eggs.  Their U.S. style breakfast complete with OJ was a fantastic bargain and the place was always packed for Sunday breakfast.  I miss Salvador's.

Doesn't sound like a good start for Spago.

I give no quarter to the concept that restaurants should be allowed to "get up to speed". Soft openings are for ironing out unforeseen problems, not for learning how to cook and serve. I would certainly not want my mechanic to get up to speed, or my tailor, or my construction contractor.

19 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I give no quarter to the concept that restaurants should be allowed to "get up to speed". Soft openings are for ironing out unforeseen problems, not for learning how to cook and serve. I would certainly not want my mechanic to get up to speed, or my tailor, or my construction contractor.

...let alone your doctor or dentist.  This place has taken long enough to open that you'd think the cooks had time enough to learn breakfast prep.  It will be interesting to hear what happens at lunch.  I was thinking about trying it, but from what I've heard so far .....someone else can go first.😉

I went there for lunch yesterday, ordered rigatoni bolognese. Packaged pasta with a flavorless bolognese sauce. Lots of meat, but bland, bland, bland! The service at lunchtime was a joke. All the servers either standing around trying to figure out what they're supposed to be doing, or running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Very disappointing!

1 hour ago, NLU said:

You ordered pasta somewhere else than Alex's?

Well, what did you expect?

Alex's? Not the only one.

Excellent pasta Primavera on Wednesdays at Gosha's; good pasta choices at Tabarka; same at Cocinart.  I imagine others have their favorites.

4 of us had breakfast this morning. Good all around. Most stuff $65-$110. Large menu. Dinner menu looks really good, lots of entrees, pasta, pizza, carne, seafood. 

On Wednesday, my husband had bacon and eggs.  It took a really long time to have a waitperson take his order and then a long time for the waitperson to bring the order and a VERY long time for the bill to be brought.  Then, the bill was $250 pesos for just the bacon and eggs.  Eventually, it was sorted out and he paid $50 pesos for the meal.  The eggs were over-cooked but the bacon was fine.

Perhaps they need a few weeks/month or so to work out the kinks and then we'll give them another try.  I haven't been inside but the remodel looks nice and hopefully they'll get everything sorted out and we'll have a nice option before/after Tianguis. 

Valerie

They need to shut down until the staff is properly trained.   They no nothing about the menu.  Takes forever for every action.  Sauces were bland, pasta undercooked, no Diet Coke. The fish was rubbery and bland.  The menu is too extensive to be good.  Perhaps they need to offer fewer items and learn how to master those before adding more.  For good Italian food, go to Alex pasta.  Never a bad experience.

Archived