Chapala.com Webboard

Durum Flour

conejorapido

There is a durum or "winter" wheat grown in northern Mexico. But it is not as flavorful as the winter wheat from the northern U.S. and Canada. I'm sure a lot of it ends up in bread, but it is in high demand all over the world for pasta manufacturers. I thought about buying hard wheat berries, and grinding them myself in an electric grinder, this what the hardcore bread bakers do because this way the flour is fresh, and at its best flavor. A baker I know who is no longer on this board said there are wheat berries for sale in Guadalajara Tianquis, but they had small rocks and chaff in them. Your best bet is to buy a Mexican flour which is supposed to be used for pizza dough. This requires a percentage of the high gluten, hard wheat, you are looking for.

If not, then an import from King Arthur Flour. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-extra-fancy-durum-flour-3-lb

or Mercadolibre http://harina preparada para pizza

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

For some reason the link above brings me directly back to this page on Chapala.com.  Could you take a look at it to see why?  I'd like to see what the ingredients are for "harina preparada para pizza".  Thanks!

32 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Thanks!  It's interesting to see that the first product, the one pictured in a brown paper bag, contains flour, sugar, salt, and yeast--plus some other ingredients (mejorador, for example) that I can't really figure out.  "Just add water".  

Stagioni, a 00 flour, is supposed to be really good for making pizza dough, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere in Mexico City.  Once in a while a supermarket will list it as available online, but when one orders it, they don't have it.

What one wants for making great pizza dough is a high-protein flour--the protein develops gluten in the dough.  The highest protein flour I can find here is San Blas, at 11.5% protein.  San Blas is made in Puebla and is available at just about any supermarket.  Selecta and most of the other brands run 10% protein.  

I get very good crust results from San Blas.  This one could have used a couple of minutes more in the oven, for browning.  

Pizza with Mozzarellax2FreshTomatoesSalami.jpg

21 hours ago, conejorapido said:

Any bread bakers out there who know where I can find this locally or in Guad?

Yes, you can pick up semolina flour at Superlake, sometimes Walmart etc or in the many grain stores in Abastos.  I still buy wheat berries in Abastos which appear to be soft berries and am grinding it myself for fresh bread, have sour dough starter and pita rising now.   Sifting the freshly ground flour leaves me the durum.    

What are you baking?

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

Thanks!  It's interesting to see that the first product, the one pictured in a brown paper bag, contains flour, sugar, salt, and yeast--plus some other ingredients (mejorador, for example) that I can't really figure out.  "Just add water".  

Stagioni, a 00 flour, is supposed to be really good for making pizza dough, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere in Mexico City.  Once in a while a supermarket will list it as available online, but when one orders it, they don't have it.

What one wants for making great pizza dough is a high-protein flour--the protein develops gluten in the dough.  The highest protein flour I can find here is San Blas, at 11.5% protein.  San Blas is made in Puebla and is available at just about any supermarket.  Selecta and most of the other brands run 10% protein.  

I get very good crust results from San Blas.  This one could have used a couple of minutes more in the oven, for browning.  

Pizza with Mozzarellax2FreshTomatoesSalami.jpg

00 flour is sold at Sams Club and Abastos, possibly at most stores lakeside, it’s called extra fina...then we can want 00  right from Italy.  The secret, according to a local Italian, to the flavor of our dough is the process each individual or family uses to raise their dough.  More flavorful dough comes from a longer rise.  It doesn’t come from using a lot of yeast.  Pizza dough only needs 1/2 tsp then allowing the dough to rise, punch it down and rise again melding the flavors into the dough.  Storing the dough in the refrigerator using it over several days you’ll notice the dough has more flavor after a few days.   Happy baking!

13 hours ago, MyHomeSweetHome said:

00 flour is sold at Sams Club and Abastos, possibly at most stores lakeside, it’s called extra fina...then we can want 00  right from Italy.  The secret, according to a local Italian, to the flavor of our dough is the process each individual or family uses to raise their dough.  More flavorful dough comes from a longer rise.  It doesn’t come from using a lot of yeast.  Pizza dough only needs 1/2 tsp then allowing the dough to rise, punch it down and rise again melding the flavors into the dough.  Storing the dough in the refrigerator using it over several days you’ll notice the dough has more flavor after a few days.   Happy baking!

As I mentioned, I haven't seen 00 flour here--here being where I live, in Mexico City.  YMMV where you are. 

I don't think I mentioned using extra yeast, or wanting more flavor.  I make a quite satisfactory pizza dough given the materials available.  And yes, I understand about letting the dough proof in the refrigerator.  

Maybe you weren't addressing your remarks to me specifically, but when you quoted my post, it seemed that way. 

On 2/5/2019 at 12:19 AM, More Liana said:

As I mentioned, I haven't seen 00 flour here--here being where I live, in Mexico City.  YMMV where you are.

Shopping for flour today at Soriana in Chapala I was surprised to see 00 flour there on the shelf.

Archived