Chapala.com Webboard

Possible consequences of being in an accident with injuries

I have no experience with this, but if injuries are involved, police are sure to follow. Too many people spend too much time trying to argue who is at fault. Police don't care - attend to injuries, clear the area. The variables are therefore getting out before the circus of towtrucks, insurance adjusters, police and ambulances arrive. Offer to pay cash to take them to hospital, etc., even if it is in no way near your fault. Get them to sign a waiver, if possible. Like you say, lots of variables, these ones are somewhat unique to Mexico.

48 minutes ago, blankletmusic said:

Even If you have  proof of adequate auto insurance coverage and are involved in an auto accident with injuries are you likely to be taken into police custody? Or are there  a lot of variables involved with this scenario?

For MEXICAN plated cars, that's why you pay the Gastos Legales (extra) fee on your insurance.  That provides the services of a lawyer to keep you out of jail among other things.  Have never had a foreign-plated car here so no idea.

But yes, there are still variables, so drive carefully and safely and hope you never have to find out!

Chillin, not my experience.  The police did care and would not move the cars until the insurance representative arrived.  Had insurance, the insurance rep., and a lawyer and still went to jail.  It was not my fault but there was a bad injury.  Until the injured was attended to in a Guadalajara hospital and the lawyer obtained a "Letter of Forgiveness" the thought of letting me out was not even entertained.  It was a Friday so we were told we had to pay $5000.00 pesos to open the MP office in order to process the paperwork in order for me not to spend the weekend in jail.  Very nasty place.  Just don't have an injury accident (even though it isn't your fault and someone runs a red light and plows into the back of your car).

My personal experience is that if you are in an accident with injuries , you have to remain at the disposal of the MP which means in Chapala that they lock you up , up to 3 days. I 

I am a Mexican citizen , had a Mexican plated car had legal assistance and did nt hit anyone and no one hit me, but I had some blue paint on my car from my gate which was mistaken for the van that rolled overI spent one night and 2 days in a cell..

If you are in such accident get your private attorney, they do not send the brightest they have to defend you and the insurrance is out to pay the least not to dend you. My personal experience.

12 minutes ago, bmh said:

My personal experience is that if you are in an accident with injuries , you have to remain at the disposal of the MP which means in Chapala that they lock you up , up to 3 days. I 

I am a Mexican citizen , had a Mexican plated car had legal assistance and did nt hit anyone and no one hit me, but I had some blue paint on my car from my gate which was mistaken for the van that rolled overI spent one night and 2 days in a cell..

If you are in such accident get your private attorney, they do not send the brightest they have to defend you and the insurrance is out to pay the least not to dend you. My personal experience.

Unfortunately, all too true! 

13 minutes ago, bmh said:

The adjuster is not a lawyer, my experience.

If there are injuries then they can lock you up pending blood tests arguing that you could be DUI, really it is the transitos and MP extorting money out of you to let you go and they know this so this is their cash cow, insurance company lawyer will not pay bribes.  Best case is to get other party to dismiss case or both sign an agreement so then the MP and transito have no authority and cannot extort money.  

they did blood tests right away, everyone was clean but the transito was pissed off at one of the party and they have the right to keep you up to 3 days as they investigate .period.  In the case i was involved several people were involved 2 were fighting with the transito and money did not work. They can lock you up until they decide who is at fault butno more than 3 days.. and then you have to get. your car out of the impound place...that took 6 Weeks...

I was involved in a 5 car accident 6 or 7 tears ago; not my fault. The ambulance was called but no one had any injuries. The police came after the ambulance had come and left and then everyone knew that the rich gringo with the new car had insurance; just about everyone developed neck problems. Since I refused to take responsibility for the medical expenses they started putting all the drivers in the police pickup truck to take us all to jail until someone would accept responsibility for the medical expenses. It was amazing how quickly all the neck injuries healed and no one went to jail.

My insurance adjuster told me that my car insurance policy included something similar to a bond to get me out of jail immediately.

I have bond insurrance but it is up to the MP and f they decide they want you in a cell untill they are finshed you go to the cell . The bond insurrance does not work. It did in the past but not anymore..My accident was about 3 years ago and I was told things have changed..

Archived