Chapala.com Webboard

dog attack in Parque Cristiana in Chapala

bdmowers

Beware!  8-10 dogs attacked me at the entrance of Parque Cristiana in Chapala today as I was coming in for my daily walk.  The dogs belonged to 2 older gringas, one with white hair and the other with dark hair.  The dogs were not on leashes. Most were small, black, Terrier-ish dogs.  I was able to keep them at bay with my foot and cursing but one bit me (and broke the skin on my leg).  This one was a medium-sized white bulldog/pitbull type.  If you see them, beware, and perhaps prevail upon the owners to keep them on leashes.  I did nothing to provoke them, they simply attacked as soon as I entered the park.  To add insult to actual injury, one of the women ungraciously suggested the attack was my fault, although she did offer to pay any medical expenses I might have (there were none due to the immediate attentions of my housekeeper/medico).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While bowing to an awareness that too many rules can create more problems, I have to say my home town has a bylaw that stipulates all dogs must be kept on a leash unless on private property or a park designated "leash free".

Around here, where brains are free to wander and even leave the skull temporarily, common courtesy would suggest the same thing... but...

Nothing as serious as what happened to the OP,  but a group of them were headed for me when their gringa owner pointed to my walking stick (which I do need) and in an accusatory voice said "they think it's a weapon", which was supposed to make it okay to attack me.  This was on the Ajijic Malecon, where there is a leash law.  I wish the dog owners would consider that among their fellow humans enjoying the lakeside walkway are people with physical problems, old folks and little kids.  I think their right to walk unmolested trumps the pet owners' right to break the leash law.

17 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Am I the only one that walks the streets with an unnecessary cane? I have discouraged many a too aggressive dog with the only weapon you can take on an airline.

Nope, I often go out with my shillelagh.

I have my husband's grandfather's walking cane. It is made out of very hard (because of its age) hawthorne with nasty thorns on it. The thorns could do some ripping damage but the handle of it would crack a skull.

If you don't want to carry a cane, put a bar of soap in the toe of a knee high sock and wrap the top of the sock around your hand.

19 hours ago, bdmowers said:

Beware!  8-10 dogs attacked me at the entrance of Parque Cristiana in Chapala today as I was coming in for my daily walk.  The dogs belonged to 2 older gringas, one with white hair and the other with dark hair.  The dogs were not on leashes. Most were small, black, Terrier-ish dogs.  I was able to keep them at bay with my foot and cursing but one bit me (and broke the skin on my leg).  This one was a medium-sized white bulldog/pitbull type.  If you see them, beware, and perhaps prevail upon the owners to keep them on leashes.  I did nothing to provoke them, they simply attacked as soon as I entered the park.  To add insult to actual injury, one of the women ungraciously suggested the attack was my fault, although she did offer to pay any medical expenses I might have (there were none due to the immediate attentions of my housekeeper/medico).

I saw those two women and their dogs walking along Degollado towards the park.  Best to give them a wide berth.

Pepper spray is mainly useless. 

If found carrying a cane with a sword inside you will be arrested

Jalisco state law states a dog must have a leash or collar.

My wife carries a taser and usually just the crackling noise scares away most aggressive dogs. They can be bought on ebay for $12.

5 hours ago, Jreboll said:

How about pepper spray?  Or carry a squirt bottle with habanero sauce?

Right.  My grandfather rode his motorcycle into his '70s, and maybe the BMW growl would attract chasing dogs, so he would mace them as required, on the fly.  How this would condition the recipients' future canine behavior, who knows.

Has anyone ever seen the leash law being enforced?  I haven't.  Until it is, and substantial fines are levied, inconsiderate people will put their dogs' preference to "run free" ahead of others' preference to walk unmolested. People shouldn't have to carry weapons or pepper spray when taking a walk.  If a human jumped on you and/or bit you, said human could wind up in jail, si?

I always thought the best cure for wayward or misbehaving (ie. in their minds humans are equal or inferior to them, clinically called "Catosis") was something real stinky to spray. Something dogs might even like, but makes humans retch. The best I came up with is fermented green tripe, from cattle, but never actually tested it out. The dog owners then have to wash their dog everytime it gets out. Meanwhile the dog is thinking "what you mean I stink, I smell great!". Dogs love green tripe - humans not so much, at all, ever. Actually, this spray may also be very effective on seniors high on sexual enhancement pills, fermented green tripe could overcome even the heavy dose of aftershave often employed by senior Lotharios.

Again, somebody has alread hijacked my idea:

fart in a can

2 hours ago, Jreboll said:

If dogs are conditioned by their owners to attack people then those victims should reverse the conditioning. I would prefer that it was done to the dog’s owner but that would escalate the problem.  You rarely see Mexican dogs attacking people.

Wait, what? The victims should be responsible to train the animals belonging to someone else? How exactly do you propose to do that.

You know Jonny, you live in a much different Mexico than most of the people on this board do. I am not against that, I welcome other opinions from those from different living conditions, different cultures. Please stop declaring that this is the real Mexico, it is not. For example there are 2,600 gated communities in Guadalajara, all have gaurds, many are armed. These are Mexican families living there, are they not a part of your Mexico? Many of them travel here on the weekends, have second homes here. The ones I have listened to say they enjoy the tranquility, peaceful, almost innocent nature of the locals, and the fresh, green air. To them, this is the real Mexico. Too bad they have to money to want to share it with the rest of the world, while at the same time making a profit, and destroying what attracted them in the first place. Unfortunately, this is human nature. You cannot bring back the Garden of Eden - it is now a massive condo development.

Skid row Mexico is not the real Mexico for many but the only Mexico some know. They seem happy to be there or would not stay. If it is economic considerations maybe they need to stay but leave the rest of us out of it by constantly complaining about what they know and living that lifestyle that we don't really care about, obviously.

55 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

You know Jonny, you live in a much different Mexico than most of the people on this board do. I am not against that, I welcome other opinions from those from different living conditions, different cultures. Please stop declaring that this is the real Mexico, it is not. For example there are 2,600 gated communities in Guadalajara, all have gaurds, many are armed. These are Mexican families living there, are they not a part of your Mexico? Many of them travel here on the weekends, have second homes here. The ones I have listened to say they enjoy the tranquility, peaceful, almost innocent nature of the locals, and the fresh, green air. To them, this is the real Mexico. Too bad they have to money to want to share it with the rest of the world, while at the same time making a profit, and destroying what attracted them in the first place. Unfortunately, this is human nature. You cannot bring back the Garden of Eden - it is now a massive condo development.

I think Johnny is saying that more than 50% of Mexicans live in areas similar to where he lives, which he labels as the "real" Mexico. Most of us live in an area similar to the top 20% of Mexicans, and our "real" Mexico is quite different. Most of us would not care to live as  over 50% of Mexicans do. Some of us care nothing for the life that most Mexicans live and are not interested in hearing about it. Our "real" Mexico is the lifestyle similar to the upper classes here, only a few deviate much. We live in protected communities, or have invested in security that these "other real" Mexicans do not have and cannot afford. Most of us "play" the game of living in Mexico among the natives.

Who is to say what the "real" country anywhere is? Where the middle class, the wealthy or the poor live is very "real" to them,  and quibbling about it is pointless.  I suppose one could maintain that living in some of the villages here where well off and poorer mingle in the same neighborhood is more "real" than in a gated community, but we're all living under the same sky and couldn't avoid each other if we wanted to. Check out the customers in Walmart on any given Saturday.   😉

"Most of us live in an area similar to the top 20% of Mexicans, and our "real" Mexico is quite different. Most of us would not care to live as  over 50% of Mexicans do. Some of us care nothing for the life that most Mexicans live and are not interested in hearing about it. Our "real" Mexico is the lifestyle similar to the upper classes here, only a few deviate much. "

In 2017 Mexican middle class households were about 27 percent [ some statistics state up to 39 percent combining lower middle class and upper middle class ] with upper middle class and wealthly added it is more than 20 percent of Mexicans now. 

"Without defining the income threshold between both social classes, the SE makes the following percentage stratification: 20% of the population (around 24 million inhabitants) belong to the "lower middle class" and 14% (around 17 million) to the "upper middle class"

https://www.sdpnoticias.com/nacional/2017/12/23/la-clase-media-continuidad-o-cambio-en-el-2018

8 hours ago, utilitus said:

A female human might end up in bed...where leashes are optional.

Ah, so there really is Neanderthal DNA in modern humans!

Archived