Chapala.com Webboard

More attempts to overdevelop Ajijic

HarryB

There is a hotel marina planned for Independencia and 5 de febrero. Apparently, they plan to take over the malecon? Access will be impossible, our wells will dry up and sewage will be running in the streets. 

Another development Vistas del Condor is planned for above Villa Nova

A third development will be an expansion of Tres Canadas

I totally agree Tiny. Not only do I feel I am being cramped  but I really am concerned about the infrastructure .I had no idea the amount of building being considered until I read the Guad Reporter today. Makes me wonder if I should stick around while we implode. Why aren't more people raising concern about this.??  It is critical to this development. My other biggest concern is the environment . When I first moved here ten years ago . Now with weed whackers etc., they have been frightened away.

10 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

I totally agree Tiny. Not only do I feel I am being cramped  but I really am concerned about the infrastructure .I had no idea the amount of building being considered until I read the Guad Reporter today. Makes me wonder if I should stick around while we implode. Why aren't more people raising concern about this.??  It is critical to this development. My other biggest concern is the environment . When I first moved here ten years ago . Now with weed whackers etc., they have been frightened away.

I guess people in Guadalajara had the same concern 20/25 years ago..I am sure it was a more tranquil and desirable city then..but now dirty and crowded...but interestingly there many large cities in Mexico that has preserved there desirability as a good place to live...yes its all about good planning.

1 hour ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Too bad you're living in a foreign country.  Didn't anyone study up on Mexico before they came here?  They could care less about your insights and complaints, and most of all your Gringo logic.  They already know there won't be a mass exodus of unhappy Gringo home owners.  

There are many other places in Mexico for gringos to go, including the ones that are already here.  How many will actually go, is another question.  What I don't' understand is why are developers wanting to build up the mountain where building costs are extreme rather than obtain land east and west of Ajijic/Chapala or north of San Antonio in the  rolling hills.  The state  can force them to build their own infrastructure including underground utilities, roads and sewer plants.  Although, a big concern here as well as other parts of the world is the water supply.  Our local wells are already being drawn down. 

Planning hasn't been a strong suit in Chapala government. 

What they don't understand is that the attraction to Ajijic is its village atmosphere, the lakefront, malecon and adjoining park.  Overdevelopment of the lakefront will end what made it attractive in the first place.  

23 hours ago, Yo1 said:

There are many other places in Mexico for gringos to go, including the ones that are already here.  How many will actually go, is another question.  What I don't' understand is why are developers wanting to build up the mountain where building costs are extreme rather than obtain land east and west of Ajijic/Chapala or north of San Antonio in the  rolling hills.

The view. Always the view. Developers know there are always people who will pay more than I earned in a lifetime, for a view.

Amazing when you look around the world at vacation areas, the beaches are so crowded with high-rises and condos that they are completely ruined. Amazingly, our own west coast of Barra, Melaque, and nearby areas have not suffered that fate... yet.

23 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I guess people in Guadalajara had the same concern 20/25 years ago..I am sure it was a more tranquil and desirable city then..but now dirty and crowded...but interestingly there many large cities in Mexico that has preserved there desirability as a good place to live...yes its all about good planning.

We can add San Miguel to the list. SMA grew and grew and grew. Some left, many stayed. The same will happen here.

45 minutes ago, nothernewbie said:

We can add San Miguel to the list. SMA grew and grew and grew. Some left, many stayed. The same will happen here.

My friend in San Miguel reports that it's reached gridlock and then some.

Sorry to say, one very cynical poster wrote earlier that a bunch of gringos protesting won't stop a developer with a fistful of money.  I hate to agree, but he's probably right.  City Hall will listen politely, but the projects will go forward anyway.  I've noticed that their words are very ambiguous.

The hotel property is residential and will need a zoning change. The public must demand to be heard and the proper procedures followed. It can be blocked if the public is adamant.

Over development of really nice places seems to be a universal problem being driven by both tourism and the retirement boom of the western world.  Look how PV has managed to disappear much of its beach or look at Cancun, or the Mediterranean or the Outer Banks or....

In a place with weak and corrupt government it is pretty much a given.  Particularly when the developers have serious local clout.

"The public must demand to be heard and the proper procedures followed. It can be blocked if the public is adamant." (HarryB)

Harry...please provide a few examples of when and where this has actually happened here.  Otherwise, I think you are overly optimistic.

In Ajijic,  there is supposed to be a height limit.  What has happened, in fact,  is that occasionally, work is stopped.  Time passes and work resumes . Up close example: a three story plus basement casa went up next door.  Complaint filed.  Nothing stopped.  It towers over my yard and blocks the sun.  The owner/builder came right out and said "It's who you know".  Apparently it is.  There are a number of "delayed" three story houses within a few blocks of me. I'll bet others on here can cite examples of their own.  As we probably all know, it's not much different in the U.S., even though there are more regulations. Money and influence are voices heard the loudest.

I'm not saying "don't even try".  Go ahead, and I sincerely hope you succeed and prove me wrong.

gringal did you support your complaint with a lawyer. Politicians who act illegally can be criminally charged for not doing their jobs. But, that takes effort and the establishment counts on apathy.

20 minutes ago, HarryB said:

gringal did you support your complaint with a lawyer. Politicians who act illegally can be criminally charged for not doing their jobs. But, that takes effort and the establishment counts on apathy.

Unless the financial implications to me personally are insurmountable, I'd have to be nuts, completely nuts, to even try and attack any municipal officials with a lawyer in hand. For any number of reasons that should be obvious. Apathy has nothing to do with it.

Archived