Chapala.com Webboard

EXCELLENT STEREO REPAIR SHOP?

ezpz

The cassette player on my stereo is breaking down and eating tape.  I have all modes of music but many excellent tapes that can't be replaced, so I am looking for an excellent shop to repair this.  My stereo is a high end Bang Olufsen, very cutting edge technology in 1980 when this model came out.  I need an electronics whiz who can work on this without breaking it!.  Graicas!

I think she already knows that option. Sometimes sounds are better from equipment you have known for a long time. Part of what makes us human I guess. I would contact Allan in San Luis Potosi. He is an ex-video technician, and maybe has someone in his circle of contacts who could repair it. It is usually dried out rubber parts to blame, but Bang Olufson is a premium company and more likely to have new replacement parts. Another option is to search the internet, there may be other collectors.

There is an electronic repair shop in San Juan Cosala that works miracles on TV's, stereos etc.

After you enter town from Ajijic, continue to the first traffic light.  Just past the light is a long white wall with a huge microwave tower behind it.  At the far (west) end of the white wall is a shop with a blue awning.  The shop is called "Teleservicios Calvario".

Don't let the picture discourage you.....  Great service and very reasonable

SJC Electronic repair.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Oatsie said:

There is an electronic repair shop in San Juan Cosala that works miracles on TV's, stereos etc.

After you enter town from Ajijic, continue to the first traffic light.  Just past the light is a long white wall with a huge microwave tower behind it.  At the far (west) end of the white wall is a shop with a blue awning.  The shop is called "Teleservicios Calvario".

Don't let the picture discourage you.....  Great service and very reasonable

SJC Electronic repair.jpg

EXCELLENT reliable servicing. I recommend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Head lubricant/cleaner.  Dirt cheap.  Prolly Wal*Mart but it's an old product.  Spray or apply to the rubber drive (feeder) wheels too.  You use a Qtip. 

If you can't find the cleaner, which is probable, Qtip with white gas or alcohol.  After that it will need lubricant .. WD40 with Qtip.  Use the dry end of the Qtip lightly to remove extra lub.   You don't want oil to transfer to your tape.

If you send it to a repairman that'd be like going to a mechanic to adjust you rear-view mirrors, mate.

Happy rubbing.

methyl hydrate is safe to use, any other type of cleaner can damage the rubber. 

• Like 1

Jonny - not all things are like changing the oil on a 1974 Chevy pickup. These decks were designed to be state of the art, but not necessarily to last this long. Repairing old electronics is a labor of love. And this Tapeheads forum posts, correctly in my opinion,  "There are no instructional courses on this. Learn by repairing about 100 cassette decks. You will need test tapes (Dolby, azimuth and speed), a wow/flutter meter, an analog dual-channel scope, an analog dB meter and a sine tone generator." There is also a way to recover/repair broken cassette tape.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=51152

• Thanks 1

Sheesh!  It's amazing how off topic these threads go.  I'm not about to start working on my machine myself.  TX for the tip about the repair shop in San Juan.  But I don't have a car!  Was just getting ready to go out and look to buy one before this gas problem kicked in.  For now, I've still got other modes of music, gracias a Dios.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

harlowshelp@gmail.com 

We have a large  LG TV that has decided to sit noise when we try to use it. It's a 2 man job to move it.

We would pay you to come to our home instead. It might be e-waste by now or it might be able for repair.

We are at Santa Amelia 5 off  Santa Jorge ( between San Juan)

Can you help us?

Marie Harlow 

530-409-2884 

Thank you,