Chapala.com Webboard

Quality cotton bed sheets?

babyface

IF you use a clothesline for drying (as I have done here for 20 years) be sure to NOT hang 100% cotton sheets out in strong sun.  This altitude/latitude combo eats them to shreds in less than 2 years!  One clothesline option is dry them at night.....

50 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Has anyone checked out the guy selling sheets out the back of his pick up, on Wednesdays north side of the carretera/revolucion...out of the corner of my eye I think he  is selling "bamboo " mixture sheets??

I looked up bamboo sheets when I first saw him. Many false claims, many undesirable sheets. But I have no "hands on".

33 minutes ago, Natasha said:

IF you use a clothesline for drying (as I have done here for 20 years) be sure to NOT hang 100% cotton sheets out in strong sun.  This altitude/latitude combo eats them to shreds in less than 2 years!  One clothesline option is dry them at night.....

I use the dryer and they still get shredded within two years. Can't quite wrap my head around that since we had Egyptian cotton sheets before coming down here and, washed and dried the same way, they were twenty years old. Go figure.

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Only if you want sateen, unfortunately.

Sateen is 100% cotton.  It's a personal preference.  As a tosser and turner, the smoother finish of sateen is far more comfortable for me and my aging hip bones.  The ones from Costco Mexico are not shiny or slippery, just a softer finish. 

Works for you, but not for me. The CostCo ones are shiny sateen. Too slippery and too tightly woven, they don't breathe, and would be unbearable for me 9 months of the year here. But I am referring only to local CostCo sateen.

I bought a couple of sets of sheets from Amazon this year that are also sateen, but they are not shiny. Just very smooth. And they are excellent. It is so difficult to shop for sheets, yet alone online when you can't feel them.

I would love to have 100% cotton, thin, soft sheets... I find most so-called Egyptian cotton being sold online is far too-tightly woven, heavy, and suffocating. Something I never thought about in the old days in Canada when I would just go shopping for sheets.

I had the delivery kids for CostCo at the store in Guad on WhatsApp, sending pics and prices. I chose a pattern and they delivered it. As I started to put them in the washer, I realized they were sateen. Not matte, but shiny. These were expensive (for here) at somewhere around 1500p. They were kind enough to return them for me for a full refund. That was this past summer.

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I had the delivery kids for CostCo at the store in Guad on WhatsApp, sending pics and prices. I chose a pattern and they delivered it. As I started to put them in the washer, I realized they were sateen. Not matte, but shiny. These were expensive (for here) at somewhere around 1500p. They were kind enough to return them for me for a full refund. That was this past summer.

Pattern?  At Costco Mexico online only solids and just a few colors, maybe 3 or 4.  My recollection is that out of the wrapper, these were a bit shinier looking, than the flat matte they have become.  But that is true of almost any unwashed cotton item, fresh from the factory, be it a shirt or sheets.  But these sheets feel exactly the same after a year's worth of washing. 

unfortunately all the satten soft stuff is fashionable now.. I was at Liverpool in Tuxtla yesterdat and they had those 400 threads all cotton sateeny, so I came back without anything.. I like the rogher old fashion cotton sheets that had to be ironed and it is just impossible to find..

34 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Pattern?  At Costco Mexico online only solids and just a few colors, maybe 3 or 4.  My recollection is that out of the wrapper, these were a bit shinier looking, than the flat matte they have become.  But that is true of almost any unwashed cotton item, fresh from the factory, be it a shirt or sheets.  But these sheets feel exactly the same after a year's worth of washing. 

First off, the CostCo Mexico Website is abhorrent. I don't know how they expect to sell anything when they display so few products. And, the Website does not necessarily reflect what is currently in Guadalajara stores.

But yes, pattern. And no, I am wise enough to know the difference between shiny "new" and shiny after washing.

I ordered sheets from Amazon USA last year... The brand was California Design Den - two sets of king size and one of queen. I first ordered extra pillowcases and liked them.  Ordered towels from Amazon.Mx and ordered additional after testing them first. Can't access my archived order now but the brand was Superior ???

19 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Also at Costco.com or via Costco Lakeside Delivery.  

I bought a set of flannel sheets at Costco - they were horrible.  First wash they fell apart and the amount of "fluff" off of them in my dryer was something else - looked like half the flannel!

I have bought several sets from CostCo over the years. They all pill after a few washes, but they are still going strong. Last year, CostCo introduced flannel sheets from Portugal. These are much better quality than the others. Softer and more durable. But I think we have to look at the prices here. I'd be paying a lot more back home than the 25 or 30 bucks these things cost here.

I am a textile weaver and spinner, and I am familiar with woven cotton, including sheets. 

The reason the cotton sheets don't last as long as when we were younger is the cotton staple (fiber) that is used  now is short staple.  It isn't long enough to hold much tension (after being twisted into a thread) so it falls apart more easily.   When we were younger  US long staple cotton (fewer breakage points) was the norm;   now it is more expensive and therefore, not on the normal shopping radar, i.e. Costco.

What I do when I return to the US is go to places like Goodwill and Salvation Army and look through the linen supply.  Many times I can find perfectly good hotel linens made of high quality, durable cotton for excellent prices. I avoid sateen like the plague--it pills far too easily. 

I am a 100% natural fiber enthusiast.  However,  a 60/40 percale mix--60% cotton, 40% polyester--adds increased longevity to a linen without sacrificing softness.  The best count is somewhere between 250 and 300.  Higher than that and you start getting into finer threads with the propensity towards weakness.  The other benefit to a good cotton/percale mix is the noticeable stiffness, i.e. crunchiness that resembles a starched and ironed sheet. 

Archived