Chapala.com Webboard

Ceiling?

DeborahM

A friend of mine did a ceiling like this- she was distressed because when they varnished them, they spread them out on black plastic sheets, and the varnish of course went through and basically glued the mats to the plastic, But then she realized that this was actually a good thing- the plastic stuck-on side of course was installed on the upper side and provided a further layer of protection from moisture and bugs entering from the top.

When I was looking at house I was shown one with the thatch ceiling.  It was beginning to shred and I was told it needed a new one.  The Mexican agent was familiar with these types of ceiings and he told me that if they are varnished and installed correctly they can last up to 15 years. 

7 hours ago, DeborahM said:

THANKS!!

DeborahM, it's not thatch.  It's petate, and not patate.  Petate is a woven reed mat used to create a ceiling, usually with beams underneath and tile on top to make the roof.  Thatch (at least around Lakeside) is made with palm leaves, still on their stems, layered onto a framework. 

And that guy jonnywhatsis is wrong about screwdriver, too.  It's desarmador, not what he said (desamador).  Spelling makes a difference to pronunciation.

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=desarmador

Petate on Bicycle.jpg

petate-mexican-mat-MB1EPT.jpg

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Slainte is correct. It's a petate roof. No discussion.

Wouldn't it be a cielo de petate? A roof (techo) is the top but the underside that is exposed to the room below is the ceiling (cielo).

28 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Wouldn't it be a cielo de petate? A roof (techo) is the top but the underside that is exposed to the room below is the ceiling (cielo).

OK here we go…….

Top floor. always, techo  encima la viga. ……….abajo la viga  or between floors, cielo.

Tepetate is barren land, nothing to do with construction or buildings.

13 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I thought I heard the word as "TEpetate". I am now wondering if that was a local combination of the words "TEcho" and "petate". Don't know but am curious. This was in San Pancho when discussing our house build.

Tepetate is a natural substance mined locally that is used in many foundations to make a hard compacted base in the excavation, before footings are poured in concrete.     It is delivered by dump trucks and looks like a greyish/brown lightweight powder; once it is really tamped down hard it can become almost like rock again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tepetate

Archived