Chapala.com Webboard

Where to get probiotic products lakeside

bdmowers

3 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

Every store in town carries at least a hundred varieties of yogurt, some less processed than others. Mi Ranchito Cremeria carries both cow and goat milk yogurt and both sweetened and unsweetened. As for kefir, I'd ask at El Granero. I'd be willing to bet they stock it or can get it for you.

What?!? EVERY store in town carries AT LEAST A HUNDRED VARIETIES of yougurt?!? What stores would those be?

You know that one of the best foods containing probiotic is raw sauerkraut. At the Tuesday market there is a man who makes the best raw sauerkraut I have ever tasted . Ferments for 22 days and he uses Himalayan Sea salt. There is another sauerkraut maker there who sells theirs in plastic containers. That's not the same person. This person puts it in glass jars. When you walk in this man is to the left. Yogurt is pasteurized and homogenized and the probiotics are basically dead. Easy to make kefir if you can have someone get you from the states kefir grains. We make kefir coconut water because we don't eat dairy. You can buy the grains at amazon mexico.If done right the grains multiply and will last you for years.  

https://www.amazon.com.mx/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kefir+grains&sprefix=kefir+grains%2Caps%2C245&crid=2I59W5SABYFD9

2 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Every store in town carries at least a hundred varieties of yogurt, some less processed than others. Mi Ranchito Cremeria carries both cow and goat milk yogurt and both sweetened and unsweetened. As for kefir, I'd ask at El Granero. I'd be willing to bet they stock it or can get it for you.

Thanks, oregon, I`ll check in at Granero.

2 hours ago, michael2595 said:

You know that one of the best foods containing probiotic is raw sauerkraut. At the Tuesday market there is a man who makes the best raw sauerkraut I have ever tasted . Ferments for 22 days and he uses Himalayan Sea salt. There is another sauerkraut maker there who sells theirs in plastic containers. That's not the same person. This person puts it in glass jars. When you walk in this man is to the left. Yogurt is pasteurized and homogenized and the probiotics are basically dead. Easy to make kefir if you can have someone get you from the states kefir grains. We make kefir coconut water because we don't eat dairy. You can buy the grains at amazon mexico.If done right the grains multiply and will last you for years.  

https://www.amazon.com.mx/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kefir+grains&sprefix=kefir+grains%2Caps%2C245&crid=2I59W5SABYFD9

Thanks for the reminder, michael, I`ll try to get over there.

16 minutes ago, Stymie said:

probiotic value, but I haven't researched it.  It just seems to work for me.  

"You probably already know that yogurt is a good source of probiotics. (You know, the live bacteria said to populate your gut and improve your health—digestive and otherwise.) But there's a new wave of intestine-friendly products showing up on supermarket shelves that we thought deserved a gut check: probiotic drinks. From kombucha to drinkable yogurt to probiotic-infused waters—are these bevvies really beneficial for your body?"

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/g19924317/probiotic-beverages/

Come visit BD (and you too Oregon), I will give you starter of Amasi Masai Warrior yogurt. I also have Bulgarian. Both make excellent yogurt, the Amasi is a strain you just pour it in a jar, room temperature, just standard whole milk, then leave it a couple of days, then into the fridge. The Bulgarian is more complicated  - scalded milk just before boiling, let it kool, the on a 45 degree C heating mat for two days. Both are absolutely delicious - totally unlike anything storebought. Natural yogurt is incredibly creamy tasting and the lumps of ferment are like effervescent, sparkling sour on your tongue. Take with a piece of fruit, or nuts/grains in the morning, and it is somehow filling for many hours.

The Amasi culture has been used by the Masai for many generations. A nutritionist from Kenya noticed that the Masai kids seemed to have less problems with diahrrea and stomach complaints. For his Masters* he studied the effect of different yogurt on test cultures of bad stomach bacterias.  He discovered that Amasai yogurt was the only one capable of killing E. Coli bacteria.

*As per Dr. Axe.

5 hours ago, michael2595 said:

The first article on this screen is the Yakult website explaining why their yogurt is probiotic and really, really wonderful.  The  second article is a rather full and I have to say quite convincing explanation of why Yakult is utter crap.  First ingredient is water, second is sugar and quite a high dose, 3rd is skim milk (high inflammation), 4th dextrose  (more sugar).   Then we go to homogenization, artificial sweeteners, etc.   So, the same as the other worthless candy yogurts on the market.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:55 PM, Zeb said:

Another very good option is the Ginger Brew store on left side heading towards West Ajijic.  Has many pro-biodic beverages and products. 

Thanks, Zeb, living in Chapala, I forgot they were there.  I`ll check them out.

My understanding is that the milk can be pasteurized and the culture added later.

Monday Market, Deena has both Kefir (both water and milk) and yogurt

Tuesday Market, as you come in the front door on the far left, the Galo goat milk product folks have Kefir sometimes and several kinds of fresh yogurt. You can also buy their stuff at SL. I will admit a moderate addiction to goat milk yogurt

Keith next to the goat milk folks has several probiotic products including sometimes sauerkraut

Turn right and on your left about 3 booths in are the Ginger Beer Store folks with Kefir, yogurt sometimes and sauerkraut.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:17 AM, MtnMama said:

My understanding is that the milk can be pasteurized and the culture added later.

Monday Market, Deena has both Kefir (both water and milk) and yogurt

Tuesday Market, as you come in the front door on the far left, the Galo goat milk product folks have Kefir sometimes and several kinds of fresh yogurt. You can also buy their stuff at SL. I will admit a moderate addiction to goat milk yogurt

Keith next to the goat milk folks has several probiotic products including sometimes sauerkraut

Turn right and on your left about 3 booths in are the Ginger Beer Store folks with Kefir, yogurt sometimes and sauerkraut.

Thanks so much,  mtnmama.

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

What about this place called Lakeside Market, which is just east of Panino's? They advertise natural, gluten free, vegan products, and Schmitty's Greek Yogurt. Who knows?

Thanks, CG,  I will check it out.

Archived