Chapala.com Webboard

Gas siphoning warning

Gerry

I guess it was inevitable that sooner or later thieves would start siphoning off gas from private cars as the gas supply problems continue.  I lost a quarter of a tank in a car parked at my La Villita  home and had an attempt (the tank flap was pried open) when parked outside LCS on Sunday.

The news yesterday was all about AMLO hiring buying over 500 delivery trucks, and getting 20,000 driver applications. Thus "expect to see the problem fixed real soon" was the mantra.

Except driving a gas delivery truck is a huge deal, between training and safety requirements. I kind of doubt there are 20,000 trained truck drivers lining up, but let's just say they are. The technicalities of receiving and delivering gasoline (they don't call it combustible for nothing) is a huge safety concern, and I wrote training manuals for Shell Canada on exactly how to do this to prevent explosions. That kind of training takes a good long time and lots of practice.

Meantime, has anyone noticed a general lessening of panic, with lineups tending to be shorter?

Yes - just be warned there are some real sneaky car owners out there. Pete Johansen told us how he filled his tank, I went to siphon a small amount to help my poor sickly neighbor - honest your Honor. But the scoundrel had some way to reroute his radiator cap to where the gas cap should be, a mouth full of dirty engine water. Yuck!

Many, or most cars, have a grate which precludes gasoline siphoning.

I have removed the locking gas caps on two of my cars; they are a bother, and no one can siphon gasonline  .  .  .  I have tried & failed.

There are reports, questionable, of taking gasoline from the fuel lines, from tank to engine. Many cars have electric fuel pumps in the gas tank, in which case the fuel line would need to be cut AND fuel pump powered up.

Archived