Chapala.com Webboard

4 am boom boom boom in SA near lake?

kimanjome

My husband says it sounds like a platoon of foot soldiers marching across the plains. I thought it was some underground, after-hours gay bar playing the same bass song over and over again.

We hear it starting around 2 am, it can go on until 5 am or so. Down by the lake at the foot of Emiliano Zapata área--we live on La Paz, about .5 km away. No music, just the boom boom boom like a pile driver hitting the ground 2x a second. Is there a pumping station or something in area? 

7 minutes ago, Xena said:

“I thought it was some underground, after-hours gay bar playing the same bass song over and over again.

Really? 

Really. I lived in Key West for a long, long time and there were a few clubs that didn't open the doors until midnight. Then, when the music began, it was a constant stream of songs, all the same danceable beat.

I think it was the adjective "gay" that bothered Xena… and me.  Who cares? It's the MUSIC not who patronizes the places that is the main factor.

I remember going to a place in Toronto in my twenties called Peaches on Pear Street. I left at 4 am and the SAME music (disco style) was still going full tilt. I also remember being grateful that I didn't live anywhere near it since it was in a residential area.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

“I thought it was some underground, after-hours gay bar playing the same bass song over and over again.

Really? 

I think it was the use of the term "underground" that got people going...

Any thing "underground" in Lakeside SAT would definitely involve a lot of mud. Maybe just learn to fit in? I am sure the young people would enjoy a bunch of white (and some brown) seniors joining in their fun. First, though you would have to learn the tremendously difficult dance steps (spoiler: you have to able to count to eight, which I know will leave some out of the loop - but they can still have fun). (double spoiler - don't drink the kool aid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKjY3B-ny1k

Well!  Appreciate the humor from some of you, and if I offended anyone else I apologise, my comments were not meant to insult anyone but rather, said tongue-in-cheek. For of you who don't know me I am pretty far to the left.  

Anyway, the loud foot soldiers are actually stomping on our roof!  This afternoon my husband and I heard it for about 20  minutes. It happened right after he took a shower. The noise is so loud--remember the knocking of a steam radiator?--that it rolls off our roof and echoes throughout our garden off the walls and bounces around like a ping pong ball. We also hear a glug glug glug noise in the drains in the same part of the house, which is on a different sewer line than the other wing in the house. Don't have a clue what it is, but I know what it's not.

I had a very similar experience before and it so happened to have started the first time I was alone for a week in our new house.  It scared the bejeepers out of me the first few times.  Fortunately my neighbor knew right away what it was. The water in SAT has a lot of sediment in it, it cakes up the hot water heater and blocks the gas from flowing properly.  I know that sounds totally bizarre but that’s what it was.  I had someone come and clean out the heater and the noise went away immediately.  When we lived in SAT we had the hot water heater cleaned out once a year.  

On 1/23/2019 at 2:56 AM, Dostortas said:

Fortunately my neighbor knew right away what it was... I had someone come and clean out the heater and the noise went away immediately.

I too have experienced the strange noise and heeding Dostortas advice, drained the sediment out of the boiler (water heater). The sound went away.

Review: https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a1498/4213452/

Archived