Chapala.com Webboard
ravva

Window 7 vs Window 10

Windows 7, all the way. Stable and perfect. BUT getting it on a new PC? Only on a hand built new tower.

And one must be aware that eventually, various programs won't run anymore. Especially browsers like Firefox and Chrome. Other programs, like for example Photoshop, will be fine if they are not updated.

• Like 1

Yeah, you might want to rethink that...

perfect
adjective
per·fect | \ ˈpər-fikt

Definition of perfect

1a : being entirely without fault or defect : flawless a perfect diamond
b : satisfying all requirements : accurate
c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept
  • Like 1

Oh fer chrissakes, Mark... what's the point of flying off in that direction? I thought you'd given up on trolling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another question is support. I just read an article that Microsoft will provide security updates for Windows 7 for one more year. I will try to find that article if you want to read it.

Since Microsoft doesn't provide free support for any Windows products anyway, it's not an issue. Last time I checked (a few years back) it was $69.99 per phone call, if you could even find a number.

Support these days refers to security updates, and to system updates. In my opinion, security updates are worthless. I have turned off system updates for all customers with Windows 7, and they are better off for it. No possibility of screwups.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

No possibility of screwups.

With out screwups, there would be nothing for repair people to fix. Where is my Commodore 64? hahaha

• Haha 1

Also, IMO Windows 7 would do better on a less powerful pc than Windows 10.

Some years after XP went to Win7 and Bill was saying support had ended I found this software online that claimed this registry teak would give you access to MS updates.  So I installed it.  The next day I turned my puter on there were 130 updates available.  I'm thinking the same scenario will come to be after Win7 ends its support.  And Computer Gay is right.  The updates are just about worthless if you have an antivirus installed and not using Windows Defender.  About all those updates are definitions for the Defender virus library.  

I too like 7.  Why change horses?  By the way, if you have Win 7 in Spanish (or any other language) and if your OS is Win7 Ultimate you can go to MS updates and get an English pack (or many other languages) to convert.  Not all your system will be in that language but the important stuff will be.  For example mine still says Iniciando Windows at startup.  

Win 10 is superfluous for me.  I do a lot of graphics and graphics are the most demanding for a computer.  I only have 8GB of RAM and it's 95% on the good enough side.  

If you want speed and if you think Win10 will give it to you, consider a solid state hard drive, probably cost you about the same as a legal Win10 disk.  And if you like sharp imagery get a GPU (game card) Nvidia 730 or higher.  Note: Before you buy a game card know the specs of your power supply.  Higher than the 730 you'll need more like 3-500 Watts.  Mine has 250, that's probably in the normal range.

It's time to move on to Win 10. Remove the unnecessary software and get use to the minor differences.

When Win 10 came out, I forced myself to learn how to use it, and I am glad I did, and it is so fast, not because of the programming but because at the same time I went to a SSD. It takes about one minute from the time I turn my Del laptop on until it is ready for me to open up my browser.

The one thing I didn't upgrade to was Edge.  Good luck on whatever you choose to use.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, johanson said:

When Win 10 came out, I forced myself to learn how to use it, and I am glad I did, and it is so fast, not because of the programming but because at the same time I went to a SSD. It takes about one minute from the time I turn my Del laptop on until it is ready for me to open up my browser.

The one thing I didn't upgrade to was Edge.  Good luck on whatever you choose to use.

Your start-up time means nothing unless we know how many processes your running, or your specs. If you're at 70 processes that is fast.  And you've compounded your variables.  You don't really know how much credit goes to W10 or the SSD.  

My start-up is slow.  Still don't have an SSD but I have the fastest of the old-clunker HDs, and Flash Gordon's processor with plenty of RAM.  My start speed is about double or even triple yours.  I'm jealous.

Win 10, 2 seconds faster.

Just saw a SSD vs HDD comparison.  SSD 30 seconds faster on boot.

Toshiba 500GB HHD 800pesos

SSD 460 GB 1340pesos

No so expensive any more.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:53 AM, johanson said:

Smart move, Pete. An SSD can easily be 2, 3, or 4 times faster, depending on the equipment, with a new installation of Windows. Even if you don't time it, you'll notice the improved speed every time you turn it on from now on.