Chapala.com Webboard

Lots of coheres tonight in the village

suegarn

55 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Google translate says that "coheres" means: coals

Did you mean: cohetes (It asked)

LOL

Obviously, you didn't take the time to read my correction before you posted this. Yet, a minute later, you read the second sentence in my post?

Just now, suegarn said:

Obviously, you didn't take the time to read my correction before you posted this. Yet, a minute later, you read the second sentence in my post?

Obviously, you became an attack hen not seeing the humor.

From Ajijicnews.com, Jan to Easter fiestas.

Upper Ajijic, in the San Sebastian neighborhood, celebrates their saint, San Sebastian on January 20 th, there is a big celebration on the corner of Zapata and Marcos Castellanos and collections are taken up usually the previous week as this is an event sponsored by this neighborhood. If you would like contribute, donate at the tienda on Marcos Castellanos and Zapata which bears the mural of the saint.

A special mass is held at the small chapel in the plaza in the morning followed by a procession to the celebration neighborhood of San Sebastian along with his statue. Then there is traditional food and fun starting around 1pm. The procession returns to the church to take San Sebastian back to the church approximately 4pm with more fun with Zayacos and Azteca Danzate groups and food ending up at the small chapel. They leave the saints neighborhood via Zapata to Javier Mina, then up Guadalupe Victoria.

(Per Micki Wendt) "The Danzantes will dance in front of the Chapel while the banda enters to play hymns, highly amplified by the generous church acoustics. It is a true sound healing experience of intense jubilant good cheer! People carry flowers to the altar and the statue of San Sebastian is placed back in his regular spot. The good ladies of the barrio who put this all together will sing a few of their own original songs commemorating this event.

The crowd then proceeds back to the home corner where there will be a Cascarone mock battle – Cascarones being the decorated eggshells filled with confetti which are playfully utilized at fiestas and weekends. The fun continues into the night with a banda and dancing, delicious ponche de guayaba, and, of course, cohetes until about 11."

9 hours ago, bmh said:

There is a San Sebastian Barrio i Ajijic so t makes sense there would be celebrations  on his names day. Here in Chiapa de Corzo the celebrations go on for 2 weeks and one week in Zinacantan so you are lucky to only have one night of it..

HPIM2941.JPG

HPIM2943.JPG

HPIM2962.JPG

HPIM2955.JPG

HPIM2971.JPG

HPIM3008.JPG

HPIM3039.JPG

Archived