Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX update

mexjerry

Dear resident of the Jocotepec and Chapala area.

Ilox Telecomunicaciones informs you that our office for customer service will be located at the following address.

54 Corner of Revolución and Victoria street- int. 3C,Col. Centro, Ajijic, Jalisco, 45920. 

The opening of the office will be in approximately 2 weeks to give you the best service.

Atte: Team Ilox Guadalajara.

[Message clipped]  View entire message

• Like 1

December 20 by tkessler:

Here is a misc update on Ilox and some comments:

- The Ajijic office lease has been signed and will open first week in January

Calle Revolucion esq. Calle Victoria  
Shared parking with Plaza Buganvilias. 
Ubicación 20.299318,-103.255124

• 3 weeks later...

It sure will be nice to have an other internet option. That said Izzi or Telecable has been upgrading its service as well. And I am guessing that with competition Telmex will upgrade it's speeds as well.

That said, I understand that ILOX's speeds will be much faster than the competition

There is so much infrastructure work to be done for TelMex to get people "up to speed" in places like Chula Vista, San Antonio, and up the libramiento, it would take years of concentrated effort. Here's hoping Ilox continues to expand to service those, and many more, out-of-touch areas.

• Like 1

Sadly what ComputerGuy posted is so true.  Many to most areas served by Telmex don't have speeds much over 5 MB/sec. In my case, because I live near the Telmex office, I have a very good connection and the best I was able to get was 16 MB/sec down. And I only had that for one week. Now I am getting about 10.6 to almost 12 MB/sec down and wont be able to get 16 again until they have a bigger backbone,  something they have been promising for a long time. (: :(

Apparently, ILOX's slowest speed offered is several time faster than the fastest I can get on Telmex.

When I drove by the new office around 3PM yesterday the front was open and they were working inside a very unfinished space.  Later my wife reported Telmex installing fiber optic a block away.  ILOX is clearly well behind schedule but TelMex may be responding to the coming competition.

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

Tell us more....

This is a U.K. article, but it is pretty clearly put together. Speeds will eventually be in the range of "downloading an entire HD movie in less than one second". Surprise, surprise though - you have to purchase a 5G enabled phone or wi-fi hotspot "puck" to connect. The devices are becoming widespread starting this year. The world leader is China, with the most network already installed, and the most devices. The biggest 5G chipmaker is Huawei, and again surprise, surprise, they are already being accused of espionage. 5G will fuel the next technologies such as self driving vehicles (including instruments of war), medical tests, AI, security, etc., etc.

https://5g.co.uk/guides/how-fast-is-5g/

It's gonna be a long time before 5G. It's far too expensive in terms of infrastructure for near-term deployment. China is an early adopter and they are much more oriented towards providing fast communication of all kinds (albeit censored), and they are still way behind. The big companies in the U.S. are fighting over rights with everyone, including the Fed. Getting it here in Mexico? Ha.

And once it hits the U.S. you can be guaranteed of more fighting. All the service providers already have ridiculous "caps" on Internet usage, and that's just going to suck when you can get speeds perhaps 20 times faster. I haven't heard anything about bandwidth availability for this yet.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...