Chapala.com Webboard

Gas Availability

tomgates

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no premium in Riberas or the PB at the mall as of 11:30 am today.  We were told when we bought our 2018 Ford Escape here in Mexico that we must only use premium gas as the magna would somehow damage the engine & our warranty would be invalid.  Anybody else ever heard of this or had experience with this warning?

That is totally false. Common misconception. The computer in the vehicle senses and adjusts as necessary.

There is no way to tell what octane fuel you have been using without sending a sample to a lab. 

If the owners manual specifies high octane, you will not get the same mileage or horsepower the vehicle was rated for. That's the difference. 

5 hours ago, shortstop said:

Still no premium in Riberas or the PB at the mall as of 11:30 am today.  We were told when we bought our 2018 Ford Escape here in Mexico that we must only use premium gas as the magna would somehow damage the engine & our warranty would be invalid.  Anybody else ever heard of this or had experience with this warning?

If your manual states a high octane, then do so. It will result in problems if not used. 

Burning regular in an engine designed for premium on a long-term basis or under heavy loads can cause engine knock, and that in turn can damage the pistons, valves or spark plugs. Due to the presence of knock sensors and the car's ability to retard the spark timing, you might not hear knocking, but that doesn't mean premium is unnecessary.   Cars.com

41 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

If your manual states a high octane, then do so. It will result in problems if not used. 

Burning regular in an engine designed for premium on a long-term basis or under heavy loads can cause engine knock, and that in turn can damage the pistons, valves or spark plugs. Due to the presence of knock sensors and the car's ability to retard the spark timing, you might not hear knocking, but that doesn't mean premium is unnecessary.   Cars.com

You will not harm the car by using regular instead of high octane. The dealer has no way to tell if you used regular, Thus your warranty will remain in tact. I have many years experience in auto repairs and maintenance. Never once did we see an engine damaged by a person using regular on and off on a car "requiring high octane."

" GM engineer who works with fuel systems: from the fuel filler to the injector." There is no long term study that shows that using regular will cause damage to the engine.

The general consensus is that yes, you can save a few cents per gallon by using the less expensive gasoline in your car, and short term it will likely not have much of an impact. Anti-knock sensors do a pretty good job of minimizing the engine knock.

However, you likely will lose a bit of performance as the calibration in the ECU is based on using premium fuel, so the effective cost per mile may effectively be the same. And when the difference is $0.25/gallon, it’s only a difference of $2.50 per fillup on a car like a Chevy Malibu. Cheaper than a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Over the long term, it’s not so clear cut. There is some anecdotal evidence that there could be increased wear in engine components, but it has not been quantified – the cost to test this is prohibitive. Think hundreds of cars running 100,000+ miles to get a representative sample to quantify the difference.

My Corvette manual says 94 octane so I always add octane booster. Wow the performance is well..is just wow.   AutoZone for the booster. I keep it in my car and call it vitamins. Anyhow I filled my truck at the east station  at the Jocotepec   today without lines. The station in El Chante cheats so only if emergency. Seems like the crisis is better for now.  

17 hours ago, shortstop said:

You'll be fine with regular gas because the computer will compensate and the altitude here doesn't require as high an octane gasoline. Whenever I drive to higher altitudes in the states , the octane rating is a lot lower for the gas they sell. Mexico doesn't have lower octane gas for higher altitudes.

Updated information at 12 in the afternoon of this January 31, 2019.

With Supply:

Francisco I avenue gas station. Madero and the carranza street, at the height of the Charro Canvas.

gas station in chapala-Guadalajara, at the height of issuance, near chapala haciendas.

gas station of Chapala-Jocotepec Road, at the height of the canacinta.

gas station of Chapala-Mezcala Road, at the height of San Juan Tecomatlán.

gas station of Chapala-Jocotepec Road, at the height of the mojonera.

gas station of Chapala-Jocotepec Road, up to the banks of the pillar.

gas station of the road, at the height of the spa spa.

Highway Gas Station Chapala-Jocotepec, corner street corner, in ajijic.

no supply:

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

Drove west all all stations open including SJC, no lines. Is the crisis over???

No. Deliveries have picked up, yes, but I believe mainly people have gotten over the panic and are no longer lining up "just in case".

Archived