Chapala.com Webboard

RECO'S FOR COMPUTER REPAIR LAKESIDE

4 hours ago, Apachewoman said:

I need assistance with my personal computer.

Task Bar Icons do not respond and I cannot shutdown my computer...it continues to reboot despite my efforts to shut it down.

Prefer home visit for consultation if possible.

Please recommend local technical assistance

Thanks

In the meantime until you can get someone to look at it, if it is still running and you want to shut it down, have you pushed and held the power on button until it stopped? I have had to do that with my PC's.

43 minutes ago, Tiny said:

In the meantime until you can get someone to look at it, if it is still running and you want to shut it down, have you pushed and held the power on button until it stopped? I have had to do that with my PC's.

Thanks, Tiny....yes...but now that you mention it...perhaps I need to hold power button down longer...😊

1 minute ago, Sea said:

Second rec for Mike O'Riley, the Computer Guy on this forum. Good prices, very knowledgeable. And patient with people who break computers by looking at them. 👍

765--4156

mike@ajijiccomputing.com

thanks....and I suppose(?) one could witch craft a computer by looking at it! Though I do not use a broom for transport!!!!🤣

4 minutes ago, Apachewoman said:

thanks....and I suppose(?) one could witch craft a computer by looking at it! Though I do not use a broom for transport!!!!🤣

I once killed the hard drive on a brand new computer by plugging in a USB thumb drive. Shorted it somehow. It's a record, even for me.

43 minutes ago, Apachewoman said:

Thanks, Tiny....yes...but now that you mention it...perhaps I need to hold power button down longer...😊

If that did shutdown your PC and you are brave (hahaha), you can turn the pc back on to see if a start up (not a restart) will fix the problem.

19 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Sorry if I took a little business away from you. HAHAHA

No probs. I like to answer questions like these, to help Board members. There are many, many I cannot answer without seeing them in person, but the ones I can, I will.

7 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Yes, 5 seconds.  Try this first:  Ctrl + Shift + Esc that brings up the Task Manager.  I do it by right-clicking the task bar but you don't have one.

On the top there's 5 or 6 tabs.  Click PROCESSES.  Scroll down til you see EXPLORER.EXE.  Click it and delete it (end process).  Restart.  We don't know which operating system you have.  Some Win versions also have an ADD PROCESSES option.  If you see that add process use it.  Write explorer.exe in the box and save.  When you're loaded up I bet that task bar with all its goodies will show up.  

Shall try this if I can find connections....Windows 7 Operating System...will let you know if this protocol works. Appreciate you idea..😀

7 hours ago, Tiny said:

If that did shutdown your PC and you are brave (hahaha), you can turn the pc back on to see if a start up (not a restart) will fix the problem.

My computer had restarted many times when I pressed the power button on the keyboard.....and I did focus to be sure that after Tiny's suggestion that I held the OFF button for 5 plus seconds...but even that did not solve the OFF problem...COMPUTER has MIND of ITS OWN...

but not to be dissuaded...I tried another SHUT DOwN 'AVENUE'

The page requiring my password to allow entry/use...an icon for SHUT DOWN was available...so I used that to FINALLY shur down the power completely

No restarting happened as with using the POWER BUTTON on the keyboard!

After a half hour, I pressed the Power Button on keyboard...and VOILA....entire matter resolved...icons on TASK BAR were available...and clicking on them provided full service of that icon...

THANKS to all who offered advice.

Much appreciated.

Mike...next time...I shall call you...found an advertisement of yours in the OJO...so have your telephone #

Thanks Tiny from prompting me to believe I could safely investigate a solution...nothing blew up!

and TO all the rest who contributed...WHAT a great resource this .com site is!

VIVA CHAPALA.COM!❣️

Sincerelly,

Apachewoman

On 1/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, Apachewoman said:

My computer had restarted many times when I pressed the power button on the keyboard.....and I did focus to be sure that after Tiny's suggestion that I held the OFF button for 5 plus seconds...but even that did not solve the OFF problem...COMPUTER has MIND of ITS OWN...

The page requiring my password to allow entry/use...an icon for SHUT DOWN was available...so I used that to FINALLY shur down the power completely

After a half hour, I pressed the Power Button on keyboard...and VOILA....entire matter resolved...icons on TASK BAR were available...and clicking on them provided full service of that icon...

Much appreciated.

Mike...next time...I shall call you...found an advertisement of yours in the OJO...so have your telephone #

Thanks Tiny from prompting me to believe I could safely investigate a solution...nothing blew up!

VIVA CHAPALA.COM!❣️

Sincerelly,

Apachewoman

However long it takes.  You need to hold the power button, the physical power button, down until it shuts off. There is no mistaking when it shuts off for real. Otherwise, you are just putting it to sleep, over and over and over.

2 hours ago, Apachewoman said:

Much appreciated.

VIVA CHAPALA.COM!❣️

Sincerelly,

Apachewoman

You are welcome.

14 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Yes, it is.   And as far as her computer going into sleep mode after holding down the button depends on her set up, power options.  

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Mine also requires more than 5 seconds for shut down by holding the button down.

There is two actions with the power button.

If you push it (not hold it down), the pc use the option (like sleep or shutdown) set in the Power Option.

If you hold the button long enough, it turns off the power, not a shutdown. This should be used when the pc is not responding to you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181295/yes-its-okay-to-shut-down-your-computer-with-the-power-button/

Archived