Chapala.com Webboard

Adios Garrafones ??

Bisbee Gal

We are renting a vacation home in Guatemala.  

In the kitchen is a free-standing water filter which holds 22 liters of water.  It was already filled when we arrived and we simply top it off with the non-potable Guatemalan tap water as we use it.  I did some research on the product and it's quite interesting.  I found a Mexican site for the product as well (https://ecofiltro.mx/) but have never seen it locally.  While many of us have UV or other water treatments in our homes, the average Mexican household does not.  The waste of materials and energy in the constant delivery of garrafones may one day end in Mexico.  

https://ecofiltro.com/en

The filtering unit is produced out of 3 natural materials, clay, sawdust and colloidal silver. Together these materials have the following characteristics:

Clay creates micro channels within the inner walls of the filtering unit and catches all contaminants that the water contains, such as solids, BACTERIA AND PARASITES.

Sawdust becomes activated carbon and removes the bad smell, taste and turbidity of water coming from any source (stream, river, well, lake or pond). Colloidal silver is impregnated on the surface of the ceramic filter after it has been fired in the kiln.

Colloidal silver is a bactericide used worldwide to purify water and has no side effects. This serves as a second protector to neutralize the contaminants.

ecofiltro-how-it-works-03.jpg

17 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

That is a very slow rate of filtration

I guess when you purchase it and fill it the first time, you have to wait 24 hours for it to process the 20+ liters.  But once it purifies that initial fill-up, all we are doing here is topping it off as we use it.  For us that's less than a liter at a time and the 20+ liter reservoir is always there for us.  

The filter is targeted for families who do not have the means to install UV or other filtering systems.  

According to this article (https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-leads-world-in-bottled-water-use/

a Mexican household uses on average 87 garrafones per year, 56% of which are bought from independent water purifying companies.

Their 2 year cost of garrafones would be 174 garrafones at 18 pesos each (delivery price as I note that all of my Mexican neighbors have theirs delivered) would be 3,132 pesos.  The cost of the basic 22 liter (family size) ecofiltro is 1,400 pesos per their Mexican site.  

Thanks. I'll go back and check out the Mexican site. The English site is much more expensive. By the way, there are similar kinds of ceramic filters by Berkey and also Royal Doulton that have excellent reviews but they too, in English, are expensive.

I'm looking at a system that is installed under the sink and serviced by an outside company for our students' apartment in GDL.  Right now they are hauling water up three flights of stairs.  This would take care of all drinking and other pure water needs.  It does use some power but not much.

---------------------------------------

Our system is a 5-stage water purification system with its own pump. It includes 3 carbon filter stages, a reverse osmosis stage and an electro-adsorptive stage, which removes a wide range of submicron particulates, pathogens, trace pharmaceuticals, heavy metals and cellular debris with its naturally occurring electropositive charge.

The system only requires an annual service and corresponding filter changes which are included in the $250 monthly service fee.

SPECIAL PROMOTION:
$500 deposit (normally $2,000)
Regular installation cost: 
Stainless steel/Formica/Wood: $499
Granite: $799
Marble: $999

$250 standard fridge connection
$251 monthly fee

-------------------------------------------------------

It comes from this company:  http://www.aguagente.com/

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, Ferret said:

Interesting concept but expensive... and must be replaced (the filter) every two years. Even the filters aren't cheap at $123 U.S.  a pop.  Thanks but I'll stick with what I've got.

$1 (20 pesos) a week avg cost for pure drinking water is not expensive if it works well and lasts this amount of time.      That's the price of 1 garafon and yet with no hauling or delivery hassles....

Archived