Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing a vehicle...

elevator

You should check with an authorized importer on the border as to the current rules and costs.

As of last November you can do 2011 and older. The 2009 and 2010 pay a 10%  import duty, 2008 and older pay a 50% import duty and in both cases you also have to pay in addition a 16% Value Added Tax (IVA). Mexican customs already places a value to each used vehicle, they do not look for an invoice or fair market value of the vehicle.

It is a new year and a new administration so there might be changes. 

Here are a couple of links for information. 

www.pexim.com

caaarem.mx

.... and that 2005 Nissan must have been manufactured in a NAFTA country, so VIN# must start with either 1,2,3,4 or 5 and not a "J".

Nationalization must occur at the border only and by an authorized bonded agent; must be first Exported from the US there via Customs. Then there would be titling and license in Jalisco. IMO by the time one paid all of this and had the hassle of going to and from the border for a couple of days and paying all the fees/taxes you friend might not be able to afford.

One thing I hated driving a US plated car was all the people that asked me if it was for sale saying they wanted to buy it. I know that it is just a compliment of sorts as they would not have the ability to pay for it. Nationalizing a car is too expensive a deal, even for a free and clear title holder. Add its cost to the sale price of the car and it will kill the deal even if it was a legitimate buyer.

Not worth it, you will pay $2,000 to $3,000USD to nationalize.  Car probably isnt worth it so if you give it away you save money.

Archived