Chapala.com Webboard

Getting a Mexican Driver's License

Arroyos

My Canadian license expires in May of this year, so I must get a Mexican license.

Does anyone know of someone who provides you with the service of taking you to GDL to get the license.  I will have to bone up on the questions in the booklet that I picked up last year, but think I can handle the questions.  Hope I don't have to take the parallel parking test, as I have not tried to parallel park in years.  

All comments appreciated.

We got our Jalisco licenses in Feb of 2017; 10 multiple choice questions in english (mostly signs/pics) Luzma provides a study sheet; if your current license has not expired no driving was required; each type requires different physical license - car, truck/chauffeur here,  motorcycle (and separate costs for each); over 60 licensees were 1/2 price;  and Luzma asks if you can jump the que, especially if you are over 60.  Luzma will also tell you what you need, # of copies and will prevet them before you leave.
If you think lines for gasoline are long, you ain't seen nothing.

Now some of this may have changed with the new government but for the most part it should be good ....

43 minutes ago, WideSky said:

We got our Jalisco licenses in Feb of 2017; 10 multiple choice questions in english (mostly signs/pics) Luzma provides a study sheet; if your current license has not expired no driving was required; each type requires different physical license - car, truck/chauffeur here,  motorcycle (and separate costs for each); over 60 licensees were 1/2 price;  and Luzma asks if you can jump the que, especially if you are over 60.  Luzma will also tell you what you need, # of copies and will prevet them before you leave.
If you think lines for gasoline are long, you ain't seen nothing.

Now some of this may have changed with the new government but for the most part it should be good ....

My experience a just few months ago with Luzma was exactly the same. All ten test questions pertained to identifying road signs. A painless and fast process all in all. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Sareya said:

I have read conflicting information from several sites.

Does anybody know if one can get a MX drivers license on a tourist visa...?

This is from the google translate version of the Jalisco site.  While the terminology is out of date, the implication is that you need either a Temporal (formerly known as an FM3) or a Permanente (formerly known as an FM2). 

Official identification

Type of document: Official identification with photograph
Presentation: Original and copy
Description of the document: Official identification with valid photograph: INE, IFE, professional ID, passport, military card. In case of being a foreigner (not nationalized), passport and FM2 or FM3. In case of being a foreigner (nationalized) IFE or INE, Mexican passport, consular registration or letter of naturalization.