Chapala.com Webboard

Handicap spaces

Tingting

Well...here we go again. PLEASE don't make assumptions if you see a vehicle in a handicap space and it doesn't have a tag/plate (getting one isn't that easy here). BTW, that also includes glaring at the occupant of the car if he/she is still in there. You don't know what the backstory is.

Case in point:  hubby, an amputee, was waiting for me as I did today's Wally's World run. Due to his health/the leg/other issues, walking isn't always that easy for him. So, out I hopped and shopped. Upon returning, it was quite evident that the  couple next to us were doing everything they could to melt the car with their righteous indignation. Hell, at least they were mobile. Did we glare at them? Of course not.

I understand the frustration with the spaces and folks that clearly don't need them and feel that the rules don't apply to them, but it's better to take the high road because you don't know.

Fair question. We took it because he was going to go in with me, but after seeing the lines, etc, of all of us doing the gas-shopping-panic, decided that it was best he just let me zip around solo. Sometimes, he'll get out of the car to help me unload if I need help, but today it wasn't necessary. Like I said, assumptions...

Not that I'm defending Tingting but my husband is on crutches with a leg brace and walking is a challenge. Sometimes he says he will go in then changes his mind, cuz it's stupid busy, people are rude and it doesn't take much for him to be knocked off balance.  I don't have handicapped sign but it sure would come in handy sometimes when you park with room to get out then when you come back you have to turn into twiggy or climb over your seat then I have to back out just so he can get the door open wide to get in the car.

As Tingting said, “You don’t know.” I had a friend with several serious health issues including heart problems. Just breathing and walking was a challenge. One day she came out of WalMart to her car at a handicapped space. A man was waiting there to berate her for using the space. He shouted and swore, saying obviously she had nothing wrong with her. She went on to die of her health issues about a year later. You don't know. 

23 minutes ago, Xena said:

As Tingting said, “You don’t know.” I had a friend with several serious health issues including heart problems. Just breathing and walking was a challenge. One day she came out of WalMart to her car at a handicapped space. A man was waiting there to berate her for using the space. He shouted and swore, saying obviously she had nothing wrong with her. She went on to die of her health issues about a year later. You don't know. 

Did she have a Handicapped sticker visible on her car?  If not, it still gives no excuse to the man berating her, but it might have given him pause for thought before he opened his mouth.  I find myself getting really annoyed at those who set themselves up as "judges".  We have no idea what health issues others may have, even though they may look able bodied.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

If your husband stayed in the car while you shopped, why did you need a handicapped slot?

That was exactly my first reaction when I read the  original posting. 

I do agree with Xena's and Gringal's comments. It just OP told us the reason why (her husband is handicapped but she did the shopping and he stayed in the  car) ....and I also know that too many people abuse the system. Any system...... like bringing their "support" (really?) animals to places they do not belong.

5 minutes ago, Islander said:

That was exactly my first reaction when I read the  original posting. 

I do agree with Xena's and Gringal's comments. It just OP told us the reason why (her husband is handicapped but she did the shopping and he stayed in the  car) ....and I also know that too many people abuse the system. Any system...... like bringing their "support" (really?) animals to places they do not belong.

While I absolutely agree w/your sentiment, I've learned not to jump to conclusions. Clearly, there was an element missing when I first made my posting, but it actually reinforces the point...you just don't know. I didn't go into too much detail because I thought that the point was obvious, but maybe hubby should have done what I'd suggested and jumped out of the car to wave his leg at them. LOL...he's a bit more level-headed than I am.

LOL. That's because it's oval.

Back to the OP. Can anyone see a back problem or a knee problem or a foot problem? Can anyone see internal tumours that cause excruciating pain? No? Then you should keep your yap shut because those people are handicapped. And, you should also be grateful that you're not. 

8 hours ago, Tingting said:

Fair question. We took it because he was going to go in with me, but after seeing the lines, etc, of all of us doing the gas-shopping-panic, decided that it was best he just let me zip around solo. Sometimes, he'll get out of the car to help me unload if I need help, but today it wasn't necessary. Like I said, assumptions...

Thanks for the response- I really wasn't trying to be snarky, I was curious, thought there might be a reasonable explanation. A few years ago I suffered a terrible sciatic pain- it killed me to walk more than a very short distance. No one would have necessarily known how much pain I was in. 

But I do see vigorous looking people in their 30's park in handicapped spaces and bound out of the car, run into the store, obviously not in pain. I've actually watched once or twice to see if they were maybe picking up Grandma, because, as you say, one can't just make assumptions, but that wasn't the case.

but maybe hubby should have done what I'd suggested and jumped out of the car to wave his leg at them. LOL...he's a bit more level-headed than I am.

A friend who has since moved back north stopped at Walmart on her way home from having a new leg prosthesis fitted in Guad.  When she came out of the store the same thing happened and some :() saw fit to be the handicap police.  Being a feisty creature, she reached into the backseat of her car, got her 'old' leg and threatened to crown him with it. 
I hope he learned something. 

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Most sensible comment so far..that problem solved

Gosh, sorry to be dragging this out...but that's not completely true. He does have a card that he sticks in the window, but it's not "official."  Of course, take it one step further and since anyone can buy one at AutoZone, who's to say that it's legit? Those that park in the spaces who should walk are the very same ones that would have no problems purchasing a card/sticker. Still, he does use it (and often wears shorts which helps for a quick confirmation of the problem).

4 hours ago, Tingting said:

Gosh, sorry to be dragging this out...but that's not completely true. He does have a card that he sticks in the window, but it's not "official."  Of course, take it one step further and since anyone can buy one at AutoZone, who's to say that it's legit? Those that park in the spaces who should walk are the very same ones that would have no problems purchasing a card/sticker. Still, he does use it (and often wears shorts which helps for a quick confirmation of the problem).

Does it really matter if it is "legal"...we are i  mexico think as the mexicans think...also those sign show pregnant women..so say your pregnant 

On 1/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, Tingting said:

Well...here we go again. PLEASE don't make assumptions if you see a vehicle in a handicap space and it doesn't have a tag/plate (getting one isn't that easy here). BTW, that also includes glaring at the occupant of the car if he/she is still in there. You don't know what the backstory is.

Case in point:  hubby, an amputee, was waiting for me as I did today's Wally's World run. Due to his health/the leg/other issues, walking isn't always that easy for him. So, out I hopped and shopped. Upon returning, it was quite evident that the  couple next to us were doing everything they could to melt the car with their righteous indignation. Hell, at least they were mobile. Did we glare at them? Of course not.

I understand the frustration with the spaces and folks that clearly don't need them and feel that the rules don't apply to them, but it's better to take the high road because you don't know.

I am often one of those sitting in the car in a Handicap space. I hang my  tag and accompany my spouse in to Walmart. Halfway through I discover that I can't carry on because of the pain. I go back to the car leaving wife shopping or in the long checkout line. I feel that I have to continue to TRY to make it through the store though I am too often too optimistic. I do walk better than I can just stand so the checkout line is always a misery.

Archived