Chapala.com Webboard

Who pays for trash collection?

Curmudgeon

Until recently, it was my understanding that trash collection was paid by our Chapala taxes. Now we have a visit from guy representing a company called GIRRSA who says he will be giving us a bill for trash collection, which we have to pay monthly. Is this for real? Our have I missed something?

This guy came to our neighborhood too. He presented us a piece of paper with the Girrsa logo. Most of the contact information was scribbled over and his personal phone and email written in by pencil. I don't know if this is some kind of scam. We are trying to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine the garbage company is trying to collect on the debt owed by Chapala by approaching private citizens.  Good luck with that.  Or, in order to continue getting your garbage collected, you must pay the garbage company directly.  Obviously the former administration decided to spend the garbage money elsewhere and then leave the office with a huge debt.

Our compound has been paying for garbage collection for years... We have tried unsuccessfully to pay for this year but the government says that the city is trying to work out the problem with the vendor... The garbage is still being collected and it is supposed to be settled by Feb...or manana...

Most of the fraccs have paid for garbage collection for years. (even though the predial is supposed to cover it)  When the prior administration granted a long term concession to a new named company the rates changed.  All the fraccs have been told the rates will increase by 100's of percent.

The new administration is saddled with the prior administration's actions. Who owns the new garbage company? You should ask the prior administration that question. Hint: it's no surprise

9 hours ago, bedbug said:

The president of our association visited city hall and also called GIRRSA in Puerta Vallarta. He was told we did not have to pay this guy that is coming around. Of course, you still have to "tip" the garbagemen or they won't pick up.

I've never tipped the garbage men and they have always picked up my garbage.  I am not going to hang around staring at the street watching for them to pass so I can tip them.  I pay for garbage service as part of the predial.  Whether the municipio is paying too much for garbage service is not my problem.  If the predial is not enough to provide the services the municipio offers then perhaps the predial needs to be increased or the services reduced.  I do usually give for the garbage men's posada at Christmas, but again it's a question of being there when they pass.  I do not plan my days around garbage pick up.

26 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

but again it's a question of being there when they pass.  I do not plan my days around garbage pick up.

There is no question when they pass. If you were smart enough you could set up a place to leave the tip. 

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Really, Tiny. My garbage guys come on Monday between 9 and 6 pm. Except when they don't, like yesterday.

Impressive how Tiny knows when the garbage truck passes in Riberas better than those of us who have lived here for many years . . . and apparently he lives in Guadalajara.  Oh, to have that kind of clairvoyance.  Not only would we know whether they were going to pass at all but apparently the exact time too.  I wonder if he can also tell us when the municipio is going to fix our awful streets.

A tip if you put out an exceptionally large amount is appropriate. A coke on a hot day or a coffee on a cold one is always appreciated and a christmas envelope are all standard. Common human decency.

Archived